Chapter 2

I stopped to catch my breath as I thanked my lucky stars for wearing ballet flats instead of high heels.  High heels with a mini skirt and camisole was Irene's choice of wardrobe for casual wear.  I rather wear skinny jeans with a long sleeve shirt and some kind of flats for my everyday wear.   I swiped a hand through my long hair.  Beads of sweat dripped down the side of my cheeks.  I could feel moisture building up at the nape of my neck.

I continued to pant for air until I felt my heart rate slowed and the adrenaline rush from earlier in the Palto's restaurant passed.  When I began to breathe evenly, I walked briskly to the end of 142nd street and dashed to a brown stone building across the street.  I reached into the small pocket of my bag.  I unzipped it and took out house keys and opened the main door before heading inside.  Usually, I checked my mailbox to see if I received any mail but tonight I wanted to curl up in my bed with a good romance novel and drink a cup of tea.  I needed to do something normal and comfortable so I could take my mind off the perfect man.

I wasn't paying attention to anything I was doing because I instantly found myself in my apartment, staring at a dark television screen.  I blinked a couple of times before I threw my purse on the couch and began stripping my clothes to take a hot shower.  I went to the bathroom, put on the light and turned on the water in shower stall.  The hot water produced steam and little droplets of water began to fog the mirrors on the tile walls.  I was about to unhook my bra when a sudden knock on the door had me jumping in my spot.  I swiveled on my feet with my hands clenched into fists to only be greeted at the sight of my best friend.

She had her arms crossed over her chest as a scowl overtook her pretty face.  Her lip stick was smeared across her the corner of her lips.  Her mascara was running.

"What the hell?"

"I should be asking you the same question."

"What?" I asked.

"Don't give me that shit."

"What shit?"  My hand reached for the towel lying on the sink.

"The event at the restaurant," she replied with a stern voice.

"Oh..."  I wrapped the towel around my slender frame.

"What the fuck happened after I left?"

"Nothing," I managed to say.  "You don't think you can let me take a shower in one piece?"

"No shit Sherlock."  Irene sounded pissed off and I knew better than to push my buttons with her.  I went into the bathroom stall and turned the hot water tap off.

"Now tell me what happened," she demanded me.  She tapped her high heel shoe on the floor while she waited for my answer.

"I wasn't feeling well," I told her.

"So you had to rush out of Palto's restaurant like the hounds of hell were after you?"

I took a step toward the toilet seat and I sat down.  I rested my elbows on my knees as I leaned my forehead against my palms.  I inhaled a deep breath.  "You wouldn't believe me if I told you what happened."

"Give me a try," Irene responded.  She was not letting up until I told her about my run in with the mysteriously hot man.

"You know how I react around good looking men?"

"Yeah, you turn into a nervous wreck."

I smiled wryly.  "That's because when I fall for one of them, I know he's bad news."

"Okay, so you have bad luck with men.  That doesn't explain your behavior in the restaurant.  You forgot to pay Ricardo."

"Oh shit."