Chapter 16

I got up from the couch and looked once more at the elevator.  The living room, kitchen and hallway were silent.  The elevator looked tempting, a promise of freedom and away from the pain, frustration and attraction I felt for Dane.  But the incident downstairs proved that I wouldn't make it far on my own.  Dane had too many people on his side.

Instead, I opted to grab a book from the shelf and I made my way into my room with the intent to occupy my mind with a good story or in this case, reading about astronomy.  The weight of the book was heavy, thick in my hands to hold.  I always held some sort of fascination with the stars, although I majored in art.  This book would definitely keep my interest.

I changed into a white tank top and yellow short pants. I dropped the dirty clothes in the hamper.  I wondered how would I be able to do laundry if I couldn't get out the apartment.  Maybe Dane did the laundry.  A quirk of a smile upturned in the corner of my lips before I shook my head.  I ran my fingers through my long tresses, untangling the knots.  I winced in pain as my fingers reached some.  I shoved my fingers out of my hair and swung the heavy dark mass behind my shoulder.

I pulled back the sheets and gathered myself in bed.  I covered half my body.  I didn't bother to turn on the light, since it was still daylight outside.  I used the sun rays to read the print from my textbook when I heard a light tap on my door.  Ignoring it, I immersed myself in the description of how a red giant turned into a supernova when the knock became louder.  It sounded as if Dane had a purpose for visiting my room.

"Yes?" I cried, putting down the heavy book on the blanket.  Dane entered causing me to look down at the white covers.  I pulled the covers closer to my chest as he stood across from the bed.  His pale eyes were watching me so intently that I could feel goosebumps forming on my exposed skin.  I was suddenly aware I only had little clothes on me.  I hugged the blanket tighter around my frame.  His eyes followed my action and I inwardly cursed at making him aware of how nervous I was.

"I wanted to apologize for my earlier actions," he said, almost knocking my breath away.  This proud man never apologized to anyone and he was apologizing to me.  "It was never my intention to insult you."

Nervously, I swallowed and I looked away from his glittery blue eyes.  "I never got to thank you for protecting me."

"Don't do that to me," he said lightly.

I raised my eyes.  "Don't do what?"  His blue eyes filled with warmth that I felt like a deer trapped in headlights.  I could get lost in his eyes.

"I'm selfish," Dane confessed.  It wasn't something new I learned about him.

"And?" He appeared a bit startled.  "Look, I know how selfish you are.  You won't let me go outside without your company."  I motioned to the window.

"I thought we made it clear that it's for your own protection."

"Yes."

"But I'm also fascinated in you."

I blinked my eyes at him.  "What?"

"There's something about you.  I can't explain what it is but it drives me insane."

I felt that way toward Dane.  He was a rich man with a lot of power.  He was handsome and attractive.  He was so on top the pedestal that he was out of my reach.  Yet he stood a few feet away from me.

"I feel the same way," I confessed. 

Then his eyes flared to life and I felt something came to life inside me.  The hotness tickled along the edges of my skin.

"Do you trust me?" his words were whispered so softy, I almost missed them. 

I wanted to retort the same question.  Since we met, he had been claiming my story as a lie.