IV

I'd like to say that we chased after that Faery like wolves and only stopped when our bodies collapsed out of sheer exhaustion. But this is not some tall tale to make us out to be heroes.

I sat down defeatedly on the stump and Peter sat behind me.

It had stopped raining and I almost cursed it, for I could no longer hide my tears. They streamed down my cheeks without my permission and I wiped them away angrily with my shirt. My red hair, wet from the rain, hung in my face in stringy strands.

Hopelessly I looked up to the sky, the clouds were parting and the sun seemed to peer through, creating a rainbow of color in the distance. I furrowed my brow in thought, and then sat up straighter as an idea occurred to me.

"Peter?"

"Hmm?" He hummed in response.

"Do you suppose that the other things that Nan mentioned could possibly also be true?"

He repositioned himself so that we were now sitting side-by–side.

"I don't see why not?" He mused as he pushed back his damp hair from his eyes. "Why?"

I chewed my lip before replying, wondering if he would laugh.

"Nan said that if you caught a Leprechaun, he would grant you three wishes."

I risked a glance at Peter and found him looking at the sky before jumping up from the stump in excitement. He began to sprint off into the forest and I stared at him in wonderment.

"Peter? What are you-"

"C'mon Blair, last one to the end of the rainbow is a rotten egg!"

---

It happened that finding the end of a rainbow was far much harder than one would think. Every time Peter and I thought we were close, the rainbow appeared to be farther away than before.

"I think we should climb." Peter said thoughtfully as he gazed up at the trees.

I looked up, my neck cramping from the height. "Can we even climb that high?"

"It's our best shot at seeing where this rainbow ends."

I knew he was right, but I had always been deathly afraid of heights.

I watched as Peter grabbed hold of a branch and effortlessly pulled himself up.

"You're doing this for Fiona." I told myself as I tried to follow behind Peter. My muscles straining under the effort of pulling my body up the tree.

We finally stopped when had a clear view above the trees, I tried not to look too far down as I held on to the tree trunk for dear life. The wind blew the cold air gently against our faces, causing my red hair to tickle my nose, but I was not going to let go.

Peter, on the other hand, stood up on the thick branch with only his hand resting on the trunk for support. His eyes were bright with wonder and the sun gave him a youthful glow.