Sex, Lies, And Secrets

Chapter One---Balie Scott

Secrets. Everybody has them. They are what make us human. Our little flaws that we all want to keep to our selves. Well for us these secrets aren't just little flaws. They are threads holding up the rest of our lives, our reputation, and what's left of our sanity. These are our secrets.

I lay in bed holding my legs to my chest with my arms draped around them. I tried to drown out the sounds, but I couldn't. I could here everything. My mother was drunk as usual and my father was most likely high off of something. He was trying to get it from her tonight, like every night. They always did this. I knew all to well of what happened when he didn't get what he wanted. A cry escaped my mouth. I released one of my hands to cover it before the sound was released in to the open air. I didn't want them to hear me crying. The tears ran like rivers down my face. I was afraid to think of what he would try to do to me, I didn't want to think of it.

I closed my eyes and tried to think of someone else, I tried to picture his face. My angel, the only happiness I could find in this life. Soon I felt my self begin to drift in to a sleep...

I was running through the kitchen holding a teddy bear clutched to my chest. I was ten, and I had my hair up in pig tails, the way my mom use to do my hair when I was younger. I ran and hid behind the couch in the living room. I stayed as still as possible, I hardly took a breath fearing that he would hear me and find me.

"Sweetie you can come out now, I promise daddy's not going to hurt you. I only want to play. We can play with teddy together, wouldn't you like that."

I clutched the bear tighter to my chest wanting to keep it from him. I heard his footsteps get closer to the end of the couch. I held my breath completely now.

"I love you sweet heart, daddy loves you. Don't you love daddy too?"

I now felt as though my lungs would burst. I let go of the breath, took a deep one and stepped out from behind the couch. He stared at me from the other end.

"That's daddy's good girl, now don't you love daddy?"

I didn't answer his question so he repeated it in a more strict tone.

"Don't you love daddy?"

I still refused to answer him. His eyes became blood shot than he charged at me and I screamed at the top of my lungs.

I awoke from my sleep screaming. I shot straight up in my bed. I took slow deep breathes and wiped the sweat from my forehead. I fell back on my bed and looked over at the clock. I was supposed to be meeting my friend Diane to go to a party today and it was already twelve thirty. I dreaded getting out of bed to face the demons I would have to go through today.

I got up, quickly showered and got dressed. I really wouldn't have been in much of a hurry except for the fact that I was going out today. My so called parents probably didn't even know there was someone sleeping in their house other than them.

I made my way down the stairs to the kitchen. There were empty beer bottles that covered the counter and cigarette ashes everywhere. I walked to the living room to find my mother asleep on the couch with an empty bottle of scotch in her hand. My father was sitting in the chair in front of the TV smoking something. He turned and looked me up and down.

"What do you want?"

I took a deep breath before giving my answer.

"I was just wondering if there was anything you needed me to do" He stared at me for a few seconds with a curious look on his face.