SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!

ROY'S POV

It was my day off and I was sleeping.

"Wake up ROY. Wake up or I'll have to kick your ass. Roy....... Ooo....... Roy......... Aaaaaaa..... Royy........, " Miss. Fernandes sang.

"Stop Singing you Moron. You are really a bad singer. Tell me why are you irritating me early morning?", I said with my eyes barely open.

She pulled the blanket over me and shook me. She said, "Alright....guess what just happened ? Or should I do the honors...."

"First of all please put that strand of yours behind your ear and then talk madam."I said still dosing.

(Oh God....I couldn't forget Miss. Strand....even when I'm sleeping.)

She took that strand and put it behind her ear and it was followed by a small blush. "Hold on, what is my strand doing to you? " she asked.

I wish I could tell her what that strand would do if Jason didn't exist.

"Ohh.. Sorry I guess we were talking about the surprise." I tried to divert her to the first topic.

She looked very happy. It looked like the stars would forever live for the moon now.

She was such a kid. I don't know what had happened which made her so happy. She was dancing around. She enjoyed the smallest of the moments.
She had a different charm. It reminded me of the good old days.

"Jason has asked me to marry him. Roy, can you believe this?"she said throwing the blanket high in the air.

"Ha.... So whats the big deal in it. Anyway he would ask you to get married some or the other day. " I said trying to spoil her excitement.

As soon as I said this, the excitement on her face fell and she looked at me with her innocent face .
I couldn't control and burst out laughing.

"You jerk... "she said and took the pillow and hit me.

"Stop it Miss.Fernendes.
Ok fine....Listen.
Congrats..I'm happy he has finally used his brain. I'll discharge Aunt Mary today. Take her home, give her the sad news about your marriage and then get married," I said winking.

She lifted the pillow again.

"Okay okay stop. Im sorry... I'll not say that again. Let me go. I'll get to my office in an hour, I'll sign the discharge papers. "

It was turning out to be the best day. I was happy for her. This is what I wanted to do.
She was such a sweetheart and he was... Let it be.....

I got fresh. Had my breakfast and left for work. On my way, I unlocked my cell to check my appointments, I had a voice mail from ROCHELLE.
It said,

"Hey Roy... Long time since I have seen you. I had been to Mercy West 5 days ago. I have my friends relative admitted there. I thought I could meet you. Tried reaching you, but you seemed to be engrossed with your work. Happy that you stood up for your dreams. Call me whenever you're free. "

True.... it has been a long time since me and ROCHELLE had met. Living in the same city, our work and priorities kept us busy.

I got to the hospital. Asked the Nurse to get all the reports of Aunt Mary and to get her discharge papers ready.

I sat back on the chair, remembering my Med-school days. Where I,Rochelle and my other friends spent a lot of quality time.

Life plans gifts for us ,but those are hidden gifts. We always want things to go our way. But believe me, each gift will be presented to us at a right time.

I wish I could go back to those days and re-live them.

The nurse got the papers ready.
Miss.Fernandes entered my cabin.
I asked her to take a seat.

"Roy, a friend of mine had come 5 days ago. She was saying that she knows you well. She wanted to meet you but.. She left.. " ,Miss.Fernandes told me.

I opened the file, rechecked all the reports and was about to hand over the file to Miss. Fernandes to sign it.

There was nothing I could say after that.

All I saw was a tear on the paper where the relative of the patient was supposed to sign. Just above the relative's name column...

The name read,

"Miss.Aliya.Fernandes."

I just turned the file and gave it to her and said,"Sign here maam. "

One thing had never left me in the last 5 years.

Hope..

And why should I leave it too.

"Remember, Hope is a good thing. May be the best of the things and no good thing ever dies"

-Stephan King.

I followed his words and today she sat here in front of me.
Hope is good as long as it doesn't become a delusion.

But, I rather believe

"Hope is a weapon to overcome a delusion."