1. Daunting Memories

The small town of Nuvema lay silently asleep. The only sounds to be heard were the soft cries of the nocturnal Pokémon in their homes in the trees and the bushes that surrounded the town's perimeter.

My eyes were fixated on the glow-up stars that covered my ceiling, captured by the gentle glimmer emitting from each star. My body lay numb beneath the covers of my bed, yet I couldn't sleep. My mind was elsewhere.

A sudden movement across the room caught my attention and broke my gaze from the ceiling. I looked to see my starter Pokémon slide it's way across the floor; my Serperior gently rubbed her head against my own in an attempt to soothe my troubled thoughts. I sat myself up, giving her head a stroke.

"I know, I haven't been able to sleep these past couple of nights. I don't know what's wrong with me." I whispered to her as she stared up at me, her beady eyes filled with both a mixture of sleep and concern. "I need some air."

Slipping out from beneath the covers, I walked over towards the window and opened it up, a delicate breeze instantly hitting my face. The moon was full tonight, perfect for a stroll outside. That's when I realised that's just what I needed.

Trying to make as little noise as possible, I quickly changed into my clothes and grabbed my rucksack, checking for my pokéballs in the process. "C'mon, Serperior, let's go. But be quiet!" My Pokémon nodded her head as we tiptoed our way downstairs and towards the front door.

"Where the hell do you think you're going at this hour?"

Shoot.

I spun around on the spot to find my brother stood in the doorway of the kitchen with a bowl of cereal in his hands. Trust my brother to be hungry at 3am.

"I don't know, I just need some air. I can't sleep."
"Why have you got your bag then?"
"I most probably won't be back for a while. There's no way I'm getting any sleep tonight."
"I know this whole thing has been hard on you, but seriously, it's been 2 years. You can't let yourself be caught up on it forever." Hilbert's soft features were flawed with a worried frown, and I'm sure my expression was mirroring his exactly; not surprising considering we are twins.

"That's easier said than done, you know". I folded my arms across my chest, annoyed that he caught me trying to leave.

"You've just got to keep your head held high, and it will get easier. Forget about him, sis. Get back out there and have fun! You're an amazing trainer and shouldn't lock yourself away and hold back your abilities just because some guy left 2 years ago! He's most probably moved on by now, and he wouldn't want you to be wandering around like some lost Lillipup. I'm not going to stop you from going out now, I know that you're strong enough to take care of yourself. But trust me Hilda, you'll be so much happier if you just let go."

I stood frozen in my space by the door, Hilbert's words slowly sinking in, one by one, until I walked over and embraced him into a big hug.

"Thank you. You're right, I can't just mope around all day, I have a life to live...I know what I have to do now, to let go..."
"Then do it." His brown eyes stared into my own as he grabbed my hand and squeezed it encouragingly.
I nodded, inhaling a long breath.
"I'll be home again soon. I love you. Tell mum I love her too. See you soon, Hilbert."
After another swift hug, I turned towards the door and left the house, stepping out into the night. With Serperior back inside her Pokéball, I released Reshiram and climbed onto her back, feeling instantly calm with my fingers against her soft, white fur.

"Okay Reshiram, let's go to The Victory Road."

*************************************

A layer of dreariness engulfed the surroundings deep inside the caves known commonly as The Victory Road. Steep, narrow passages wound their way through the rocks and along mountainsides; only the strongest of trainers are allowed to challenge the maze leading towards the Pokémon League, and even then not everybody passes through successfully.