5. Overwhelming Thoughts

Hilda:

It was coming into view in the distance, the warm colour of the beaches. You could still see the footprints in places, the sand castles and drawings carved with sticks and fingertips. It looked beautiful.

"Hilda," my concentration was broken upon hearing his voice.
"Y-yes?" I turned my head slightly, making it easier to hear him over the passing winds.
"I could just be being presumptuous here, but, did you reply to Zekrom earlier, to what he said?"
I couldn't help but laugh at his naivety, "no, you're not being presumptuous, because I did. Something has happened to me, N. I'm not sure what exactly, or how, but I can hear what Pokémon are saying. I can understand them...I think I know what you meant two years ago; the first time we met. You said you could hear the voices of my Pokémon, and you could listen to the things they wanted to say. I think that's what I can do now."
   I could feel his gaze upon me, his gentle eyes and his warm breath. Both intertwined left me feeling numb, safe, intoxicated.

"I don't doubt you, but I want to test if what you're saying is true, if you hear what I hear." He let a moment pass as we drifted through the sky, the air breathing on our cheeks.
"Zekrom, I want you to think of something, anything at all. And Hilda, I want you to say it out loud. I'll be able to hear, but then I'll know if our abilities truly are one and the same."
   I nodded my head slowly, suddenly anxious. Could our abilities be different? Is it possible that each of us will translate differently?
Inhaling a deep breath, I caressed the back of Zekrom's neck; exhaled. "I'm ready."

N's grip around my waist tightened ever so slightly, letting me know that he was nervous too.

We've been gone for such a long time. Exploring islands neither of us knew existed, meeting new people, passing countless faces. It's been an adventure neither of us will soon forget. Yet, there was always a hole in his heart, a void that could never be filled, no matter how far we travelled, or how many days passed.
Every night, without fail, he'd reach into his trainer case, ignorant to the multiple badges kept within, each glimmering in the reflection of the moonlight, and he'd pull out the photo wedged between. He'd just hold it for a while, his expression barely readable. And he'd whisper something. It was so quiet, I never heard what he said.
Sometimes, I'd see a tear fall from his eyes, but he'd wipe it away so quickly you could argue it was never there at all.
The hole that had been in his heart was there because he missed the one person he's ever truly cared about; the girl in the photo he keeps on him wherever he goes. That girl is you, Hilda.

No words were spoken. Years could have passed and no conversation would've been had. Time seemed to sweep by as the two of us sat upon the back of the Pokémon, engulfed in silence and the thoughts he'd just shared with us. My face was hot, tears burning my cheeks as they cascaded down my face. My entire body, numb and cold yet ablaze with the intense emotions fighting for dominance inside me; sorrow, happiness, confusion, love. There's no way I could repeat that. Neither can he.

The ground was nearing, and Zekrom reduced his speed of flying as we descended from the night sky. Within a few seconds we had landed, and almost immediately I jumped down the side of him, the impact of the sand warming my toes, now tired, bruised and aching.
"Hilda, I-" N began to speak, following me down off of Zekrom's back, his voice wavering. I resisted eye contact, it was unbearable.
"I've got to get back, they'll be wondering where I am. Thank you for the ride Zekrom."
   I moved quickly, my footsteps out of time to the beat of my heart, my breath jagged.

"Hilda! There you are, you had us all worried-" Bianca stopped in her tracks outside of the villa, her expression that of a deer stuck in the headlights. "N?! You're back?"
   I couldn't stop the tears from falling, the pent-up emotions from deep inside me all of this time cascading out of me at once, each to their own with directions.
"Hilda? What's wrong?"
I couldn't speak, words wouldn't come even if I pushed them. I walked past her, inside where faces caught sight of me, following expressions of confusion, worry and despair.