I Hate This Place

The sound of the city seeps through my windows. I listen to all of it as I sit in my apartment, my Husky Laika laying beside me. It's so quiet now that Blake isn't around.

"Whatever happened to him?", I wonder. He just left without leaving a trace, I figured he just gave up. We were going through a rough patch, but I didn't think he would leave. I sigh, "oh well".

My phone starts to ring, I walk over to check the caller ID. It's my mother. I pick up the phone,

I cannot even finish saying hi before she shouts directly into the mic, "HELLO HARPER DARLING!".

She's always been loud... She has been divorced for 6 years now, and of course, this is just another bullshit call to tell me about her new boyfriend. She gets more men in a month than I can get in a year. I'd call her a whore if she weren't my mother, but she just needs to find the right one I guess. I had the right one, or at least I thought I did...

I hate my shitty apartment, 1000 square feet of butt fuck nothing. Just a few pieces of old worn out furniture here and there. I want to move somewhere else but I'm only working with a minimum wage pay right now and I'm earning just enough money to pay my rent. I'm looking into a second job so I can save more money so I can escape this dump and get out of the city. I'm sick and tired of the traffic and the construction. I just want to leave.

Laika whines at me, she's knows it's time for her daily walk. The time completely slipped my mind. She stares at the door with her icy blue eyes just waiting for me to open it. I grab her collar and loop it around her neck, quickly snapping on her leash. She excitedly barks as I open the door and step out. Laika follows.

As I'm walking the dog my mind drifts. I start asking myself all sorts of questions.

How does my mom get so many guys? What the fuck happened to Blake? Am I not getting promoted because I'm bad at my job? Who knows?

Laika's bark snaps me out of my trance right before I walk into the oncoming traffic. I'm getting so distracted. I just need to calm down and focus. Maybe I should try meditating? Shit! I'm doing it again.

"Focus Harper!", I repeat to myself. "Focus"...