Just Another Day

Authors Note: Thank you so much for 44 views! It's not a lot, but its way more than I thought I would get. Thank you!!!

---

A photo of Blake and I had fallen off of the dresser and was face down on the hardwood floor. I walked over and picked it up. I stared at the photo and my lips curled into a smile. It was a picture of us on a beach in Australia. I closed my eyes as I thought back to that moment. 

It was a beautiful sunny day, we were staying with my Aunt Katherine. We had rented a small convertible for the trip. We threw our stuff into the back seat and drove to Somerton beach. We went for a long walk and I could feel the warm sand against the bottom of my feet.

My mind was pulled back. I didn't think about it at first, but how the hell did the photo get on the floor?

It must have been Laika. She probably jumped up and knocked it off the dresser. It was the only possible answer. I didn't believe in ghosts. I thought it was complete bullshit. 

----

I ignored what had happened and went about the rest of my day. I looked over at my new leather couch. A fluffy white blanket was draped over the back. I made some dinner and picked up my MacBook. 

I sat down on the couch. The leather felt smooth against my frail skin. I pulled the blanket over me. The soft fabric encased me in what felt like a warm bubble. I reached out for my laptop and lifted it onto my lap. I opened Netflix and selected a movie.

I curled up into a ball on the couch and relaxed as the movie played. 

I quickly ate my dinner and when the movie ended I closed my laptop and sprawled out along the couch. Laika was fast asleep on the rug in the middle of the living room floor. She looked so peaceful and I did not want to wake her, but I had no choice since I felt safer with her in my room.

I called out her name. Her ears perked up and she glanced over at me.

"Come on", I said as I patted my thigh a few times. Her eyes widened as she ran towards me. I slowly got up and made my way down the hall. She closely followed me to my bedroom. I climbed into bed and pulled the thick comforter over my cold body. Laika jumped up onto the bed and curled up next to me. I instantly felt more calm and at peace.

---

I woke up to the sound of my alarm.

The sound startled me and I leaped out of bed. I reached out and hit the snooze button. I glared over to check the time.

"10:30"

I was going to be late for work.

I threw my clothes on and got ready as fast as I could. I ran out into the driveway and hopped in my car. I revved the engine and sped out of the driveway. I slowed down once I hit the road, but I was still going pretty fast. 

I pulled into the parking lot. I swung the car door open and stepped out. I slammed it shut and ran towards the doors. I checked my phone for the time.

"10:57"

I still had a few minutes to spare. A sigh of relief exited my mouth. 

I wandered to the back of the store and grabbed my uniform. I put it on and walked out to my assigned register. It was quiet today and there was not a lot of people, but what could I expect? It's Monday.

 A few hours had gone by but it felt like I had been here for days on end. I waited a bit longer and my shift was finally over. I took off my uniform and headed home.

When I arrived home I walked inside and threw my keys and bag down onto the counter. I could hear Laika running down the hall. She jumped up on me so her front paws were resting on my thighs.

"You almost knocked me over!", I exclaimed.

I let out a laugh as Laika ran in circles around me. She hadn't seen me all day and she was very excited to know that I was home. I let her out to pee and I stood on the porch while I waited for her to finish. When she was done, she ran past me at top speed. Once again, almost knocking me over. 

I entered the house with her and closed the door behind me. I walked into my office and flopped into the chair. It slid across the floor as I sat down. I spun around so I was looking at my desk. There were papers everywhere. I pushed them to the side and began to write a journal entry about my boring day.