A New Start

I have purchased my new home, and started to pack boxes full of my stuff. I couldn't believe that I was getting out of this shit hole. My new life was about to begin. 

---

About a week later, the boxes containing my things were loaded into a moving van. The drivers name was Eric. 

I opened the passenger side door to my car to allow Laika to jump in. I closed the door, walked over to my side, and hopped in the drivers seat. I exited the parking lot. This was hopefully the last time I would have to look at it.

I started to make my way to my new cottage, the van followed.

I leaned back into the leather seat of my car, it wasn't that comfortable but I didn't care. My mind was focused on my new place. It was secluded and everything I wanted. I was so excited to continue my life in isolation.

I sat up in my seat as I pulled into the driveway. The gravel crunched under the weight of the tires.

I parked the car just outside the doors of the house. I stepped out of the vehicle and took in a deep breath. My nose was immediately filled with the fresh scent of nature. I exhaled, and smiled.

"This is it", I said to myself. "This is where my new life will start".

I ran back to the car and opened the passenger side door. I picked up Laika's leash and clipped it to her collar. She jumped out of the car and followed me up to the front door.

I dug around in my pocket for a minute before pulling out a set of keys. The keychain contained 2 keys. One for the house, and one for the building. I'm guessing the building is where the previous owners stored there old junk? I'm not sure, but I can't worry about that now.

I wanted to go explore the house myself. Sure, the pictures I viewed of the rooms and such were nice, but as I looked through the home, I felt a stream of happiness rush up to my cheeks. My lips lifted into a smile. The house was better than I could of ever imagined.

I unclipped Laika's leash and let her roam free in our new home. She must have been excited because the moment that she was released from my grasp, she started running up and down the halls like she was a puppy again.

I left the house and made sure to close the door behind me. I started to make my way over to the van. As I got closer, Eric saw me and proceeded to exit the veicle. He glanced up at me and his lips curled into a smile.

I looked up to see that he had his hand stretched out towards me. I reached out and shook it. I gave him a faint smile. We hadn't really met yet, but he seemed like a nice guy.

"Alright, lets get this stuff in the house", he said.

I chuckled under my breath.

"I was about to say the same thing", I replied.

We laughed as we started to unload the van. I placed the box I was holding down on the porch and opened the door to the cottage. I watched as Eric stepped inside my new home.

"Where do you want these boxes Ms. Wharwood?", he asked.

"Right over there", I said as I pointed to the living room floor. "Just Harper is fine by the way".

He smiled and gave me a slight nod.

"Alright then Harper, I'm going to get some more boxes from the van", he told me.

He exited the room and headed out the front door. I realized that I had forgotten the box on the porch, so I followed Eric towards the door. I stepped out onto the porch and reached down for the box. I picked it up and wandered back into the living room where I placed it on the floor.

I couldn't imagine having to do all of this by myself, I was so glad that Eric was here to help me.

We finished bringing the boxes into the house. I thanked Eric and then he left. I stood on the porch and watched as he pulled out the driveway. Once he was out of my view I went back inside.

I stared out the window.

"A new start to a new life", I thought to myself. "This is just the beginning".