How Do You Do It?

I sat at the kitchen table with my MacBook laying open in front of me. I scrolled through a website, looking at available jobs in the area. I come across a job as a cashier at the local market. It pays a little more than my current job, and I don't need any experience to work there.

"It's perfect!", I exclaimed.

The next morning I headed out. It's about a 10 minute drive to get to the market from my apartment. It's so much closer than my other job.

I walked into the market and up to a register. I handed my resume to the girl at the counter. Her long blonde hair was draped over her face.

"May I leave my resume with you?" I asked.

She kindly responded as she picked up my resume. "Yes, that shouldn't be a problem", she said. She gave me a faint smile.

I looked down at her name tag. Claire. I then peered back up to see her still smiling at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you so much Claire", I said as I started to make my way towards the doors.

She must have read my name off my resume, because she responded with "Glad I could help Harper".

I smiled as I left the building.

Back at my apartment I could hear Laika scratching at the door. I slowly opened it and my dog lunged at me. She continuously jumped up at me.

"Calm down", I told her as I laughed. Excited little bitch, but she is too cute for me to be mad at her.

Later that day, I received an email. I opened it to discover that it was from the market.

I got the job.

The email stated that I would be paid $11.40 an hour and I would start work on Monday next week.

As instructed by the email, Monday morning, I headed to the market. When I got there I met with the manager. She gave me my uniform and name tag, then I was sent to work. She put me at the register next to Claire.

Claire glanced up at me and flashed me a quick smile. I smiled back before the manager called me over to the register and proceeded to show me how to use it.

She left and I got my first customer. I fiddled around with the buttons, I had forgotten how to use it already.

"How do you do it?" I asked the manager as she came by to check on me. She showed me again and this time I got it right. I'm well on my way to leaving that shitty apartment.

--

A few months had passed by and I was starting to earn some money. I've been looking into some houses and I think I finally found one. It's a little cottage in the woods. It's exactly what I've been looking for, it's small, in budget, and most importantly it's away from everything I hate.

I layed down with Laika by my side. I layed there and just thought of how great life is going to be when I get away from this city...