It All Seems Peaceful

I was just settling in. I've taken most of my things out of the boxes and had started to place them around the house. There was a few things left to unpack but I couldn't be bothered to deal with that right now. I was too busy admiring the rooms of my new cottage.

The sunlight leaked through the glass panes of the windows and spread across the beautifully polished hardwood floors. The floor acted as a mirror and reflected the rays of sun onto the walls. The wallpaper was boring and it was peeling a bit but I didn't mind. I planned on tearing it down and painting the walls anyway.

I had almost everything in place. I had ordered some furniture such as a couch and chairs for the living room, a new bed frame, a desk and office chair, and a new dining table and chairs. It would be a week or two before they arrived but I'm happy with how things are looking now. For the time being, I would be sleeping on a mattress that layed across the floor of my new room.

---

Two weeks had gone by and all of my furniture had arrived. I arranged everything how I wanted it to be. I finally had a real bed to sleep in and somewhere to do my work. Now everything was perfect, it was exactly how I imagined it a few weeks ago, but now it was all real.

---

I stared at myself in the tall body length mirror that stood in the hallway. I stared into my bright blue eyes as my short chestnut brown hair covered the sides of my face. I could picture Blake standing beside me. His arm wrapped around my waist.

I had to forget about him for now though. I had work in a few hours.

I looked over my shoulder at my new leather couch. A fluffy white blanket was draped over the back. I sat down with my MacBook and pulled the blanket over me. I opened a new tab and pulled up Facebook.

"Nothing new here", I thought to myself.

I checked some other social media. Nothing. I was bored out of my mind but there was still a few hours left before I had to leave. Laika whined at my feet. I forgot to take her for her walk.

"Might as well do it now", I said.

I clipped her leash to her collar and opened the door. She was out the door seconds before me. Shes still a puppy at heart. I smiled and let out a faint giggle.

I didn't remember to bring my phone with me and I never wore a watch, I had no idea what time it was. When we got back I freed Laika from her leash and glanced up at the clock. We were gone for about an hour and a half. It was time for me to head to work.

I left the house and locked the door behind me. I climbed into the drivers seat of my car and slowly pulled out of the driveway. It was only a fifteen minute drive to get to work from my house, so I turned on the radio to pass the time.

When I got to work I could see Claire walking towards the doors. I got out of my car and ran up to her.

"Claire!", I shouted. "Wait up!".

Her head jolted to the side when she heard me. She stopped for a minute, and continued walking once I was beside her.

We made our way through the front doors and entered the back room. We grabbed our uniforms and went to work.

The day dragged on, so many people were coming in and out of the store. I couldn't wait to get home. I was exhausted and I just really wanted to go to sleep.

----

Finally my shift was over and I could go home. I left the parking lot and fifteen minutes later I was home again. I unlocked the door and walked in. That's when I noticed something...