Chapter 3

When we reached Chicago, the snow had finally started sticking. 

I hated snow, and Darren and Emma throwing snowballs didn't help. They just love annoying me. 

It was almost Emma's birthday, so as I was walking by a store, I found something she would really love, but I didn't have a lot of money. 

Ever since Darren absorbed Sam's soul, we haven't been able to read each other's minds due to  Sam's ability, but Emma could still tell what we were thinking from the way we acted. 

Once we were set up in our hotel room, we ate the fast food that Darren and I had went and got. 

We flitted back, so fast delivery.  

Emme has a hard time eating tough food, so she can only eat soft food.  

We ate and Emme showed me what she could morph into. 

Since we can't talk to eachother mentally with her now, Emme has to write out what she's saying. 

Mr. Crepsley, Darren and I slept in one room, and Emma and Emme had the other bedroom all to themselves. We didn't mind sharing a bedroom with Mr. Crepsley. 

Darren and Emme watched TV and enjoyed themselves while Emma and I went around town and figured out some information about the Vampaneze and where they were. 

We split up when I was sensing something on the other side of town, while Emma sensing something down in the sewers.  

We met up later that day and put the locations we needed to go later that night on the three maps he had gotten. One was a map of the heart of the town, and the other two were of downtown and of the wide sewer system. 

" I'll catch up with you later. I'm going to go pick up something from the store." 

" Alright, be careful." 

Once she was gone, I darted down the street and into the store that had the locket I wanted to give to Emma, so she could put the picture of her family she had in it. 

I was lucky, because one of the workers had just put a sign up saying it was ten% off so I could afford it now. 

" Is that a Christmas present for your girlfriend?" A girl asked me as I looked to see if it was worth buying.  

" My sister, actually

" My sister, actually." 

"I haven't seen you around. DId you just move here?" 

" We're staying at a motel with our Dad. Where just passing through." 

" Oh. Are you guys heading somewhere?" 

" Alaska." 

" Wow. it's pretty cold up there." 

I could tell she thought I was cute by the way she was acting. I thought she was pretty cute too, but I was afraid the Vampaneze would see me with her and target her. I wish they weren't in this town.  

" I'm sorry, but I have to get home, I'm late for curfew."  

" You don't look like a person that follows the rules." She said as she poked me in my left shoulder with her left pointer finger. 

" You better get home too, I've heard about the murder's that happened." 

" I just live around the corner, I'll be fine." 

The smell of blood filled the air and I turned around, it was coming from the back of the store. 

" Vampaneze." 

" What?" 

" You need to get home, now." I told her, practically shoving her towards the door. 

" The heck man, hey, quit pushing me!" 

They had noticed and were coming this way, so I grabbed her and flitted away, setting off the alarm because I hadn't paid for the locket. 

I traveled a few blocks before I stopped. 

The girl was freaking out and out of breath. " What just happened? How did you do that? What are you?" 

I couldn't just tell her that I was a Vampire, and I couldn't just run away, knowing she would be in trouble. 

" Hey, I asked a question!" 

" Keep your voice down." I whispered to her as I got in front of her. 

I tried to find the Vampaneze, but couldn't. 

They should have found me by now. 

What if it wasn't a Vampaneze? 

" Hey, I asked you a-" 

" Where are you, Vampire?" A female voice said. " Come out, come out wherever you are." 

I looked around and found an abandoned house. Whoever it was wasn't a Vampire, they were human but just smelled like a Vampaneze. Were this women working with them? 

" Vampire?" The girl asked. 

" Stay quiet if you want to see your family again." I whispered to her as I pulled her into the building. 

" Are you going to kill me?" She whispered. 

" No. I'm the only one that's keeping you alive right now." I whispered back.