Chapter 4

The next day I got to the café at 11:30 instead of 11:45 so I could have some time to myself to think. To think about my friends and what would've happened if I never switched to baseball, would I not like the boys and be like Hailey or not even be friends with them?
I forgot my phone was on do not disturb because David texted me at 11:43 telling me to meet them at the sandlot, it was now 11:50. I rushed over to the sandlot as fast as I could and saw the boys standing in a line in left field. I decided to hide in the bushes, I know it's not the best idea and i don't even know why I did it in the first place. it seemed like there was a problem, and I could understand why because Hailey, Penny, and Jenny were there too. After a while David started to wonder where I was, "Where's Mel? She should've been here 30 minutes ago," and I was, he just couldn't see me. David started to walk over to the open path and saw my bike. He looked confused as of why my bike was there but not me. "Why is Mel's bike here?"David asked the guys. he looked around and called my name a few times until he saw me, but when he did, I pulled him into the bushes with me. I don't know why I did that or what i was going to tell him. "Mel, what're you doing here?" David asked me.
"I honestly have no clue," I said.
"why would you be hiding in bushes for no reason?"
" I don't know, I guess I just wanted to watch for once instead of getting involved."
"why?"
"I don't know. why do you ask so many questions?"
"because I'd like to know why we're sitting in bushes right now instead of playing baseball in the sandlot."
Both David and I got out of the bushes and walked over to the rest of the group. "where were you Mel?" Mac asked.
" no where," I said.
"glad of you to join us," Hailey said to me in a sassy tone.
"it was all good until I saw you here," I said back to her.
There was a moment of silence.
"Well?" I asked Hailey.
"well what?" she said back.
"LEAVE ALREADY!" David yelled.
"no," Hailey said in a sassy tone of voice.
"Johnny!" I yelled over to Johnny and waved for him to come over.
"go tell them to leave," I told Johnny.
"I don't think they wanna," Johnny complained trying to get out of this.
"go!" I yelled at him and he ran over there and shortly after came back.
"they said no," Johnny said.
The boys and I grunted.
"Tell them again," David told Johnny, and Johnny ran back. He cam back with the same answer.

This bantering went on for a good 10 minutes until Johnny can back tired and worn out.
"He's done for captain," Mac said.
"What's they say?" I asked Johnny and he shook his head. David grunted in anger.
"If they were guys we could beat 'em up," Mac said.
"Well they aren't, and we can't," David said.
"I could beat 'em up," I said raising my hand. All the guys looked at me and said yeah, except for David.
"Don't! Why don't you just share? Share the sandlot, play together," Johnny said.
The boys started to silently agree.
"Are you all cracked?!" I yelled.
"Mel, man, calm down. I mean they are really good," Tarquell said.
"Yeah really really good, and we're like three men short for a team," Saul said.
"They're girls!" David yelled throwing his arms in the air.
"Not only girls, but softball players. They can't handle baseball," I said.
"Yeah but so what?" Mac said.
"So what? You got us into this crap mess Mac," David said.
"A good soldier knows when to surrender, I surrender, they're good, we need them," Mac said.
I can't believe Mac said that. I turned around and walked towards the wall a little bit and soon David was right next to me.
"What're we gonna do?" David asked me.
"I don't know, but all I do know is that I don't want to have to play with those princesses for the rest of the summer," I told David.
"Same here," David said.
"Let me put it this way, we want to beat those little league jerks, right? Well them are the answer," Mac said pointing over to Hailey and them, and David and I turned out heads and looked at them with bad looks. Hailey was doing the same.
David and I looked at each other, took a deep breathe and went back to the group.
"Mel, go make a deal," David told me. So I went over to the pitchers mound and as I did Jenny walked up too.
"Are they in love or what?!" Jenny asked me. I knew David liked Hailey but I didn't want to admit it.
"I didn't come up here to talk about who likes who. I came up here to make a deal. We need three more players for our team so you can join our team," I told Jenny.
"Really?!"
"No! I was completely 100% lying to you," I said sarcastically.
Jenny walked away and I could tell she was rolling her eyes, some of Hailey's attitude must've rubbed off on her.
"So what'd they say?" Mac asked.
"They'll do it," I said disappointed with a little anger. All the boys did a little cheer except for David. I could see him glancing over at Hailey, so I looked over. Hailey was looking back at us and then gave us a happy smile, I gave her a little death stare.

~

A/N
Just a few changes. I added a part because I realized I left it out.