Chapter 18

The whole week was agony and I was so happy when the weekend came. I was lying on my bed when Betsy walked in. “Can you knock first!”

Betsy made a cat noise. “Wow what made you so mad. Period came early.”

“At least I have one you pint size twerp.” I turn to face the wall and groan when she sits next to me.

“Well then what is wrong?”

I thought about how much I could tell her, before I spoke. “Maddie and I had a horrible fight and we aren’t speaking to each other. Some crap was said and now were both to stubborn to fix it. In the end I slapped her, because she said some really mean things and I was only trying to help her. “

“Explain help,” questioned Betsy.

“She asked for some help with Jay and Sam and I told her what I usually tell her. I didn’t try to force her to do what I already knew she was going to go against. She twisted my words and got the wrong message from what I was trying to convene.”

“Well it all seems pretty ridicules and you both need to make up.” I propped myself on my elbows and rolled my eyes at Betsy.

Get dressed and come down stair Jaci. I looked at Betsy questioningly and she didn’t seem to hear what I heard. The next second I was on my feet getting dressed. I put on a teal top that stopped a few centimeters above my bellybutton. I was pulling up my hip pants when I heard the same voice in my head. Come. Betsy followed me downstairs and into the living room.     

Mama stood at the door with her car keys. Her gray silk turtleneck shirt was too big and took the appearance as a dress. Her black leggings were long enough to go under her black boots. When she opened the door her curled hair rustled in the wind. “Shall we go,” she motioned to the car.

Betsy and I shared a look and I nodded. Betsy waved bye as we drove down the street in Mama’s Tundra Toyota truck. “Where are we going?”

“Moon’s Light Magic,” she replied. Her voice was crispy and her brown eyes held power. It was hard to believe that she was sixty-one sometimes. She didn’t look like a grandma, but the most powerful witch in the world. Behind the gleam in her eyes I could see a woman how’d done great things. Someone who had probably fought evil more than once and played death; was my Grandma. It was hard to grasp, but the pieces matched in my head.

We were driving for a little less than an hour before we pulled into the parking lot of a small shop. “This is a Wicca store where you can find anything that has to do with magic here. I came here when I first started out and so did your mom and our past generations.”

I opened the door slowly and the smell of apples and herbs filled my nose. The place looked really ancient but I felt calming vibes coming for this shop. There were selves and rows of witch stuff. I was immediately drawn to a self of gemstones and I couldn’t help but pick up one that was labeled ‘Amethyst’. The overall color was violet but the inside looked like it was crowded with crystal clouds. I rolled it in my palms and felt strangely relied. I gazed at it for a few more seconds before lightly placing it back in place.

“Your eyes held longing when you were looking at that gemstone.”  I looked up in shock as my Grandma locked eyes with me. “This type of gemstone, amethyst, has put all of the witches in our family in a trance. It seems like this is our family’s stone.” She smiles.

“Why did you bring me here?” I look deep into her eyes searching for an answer.

“To let you know you’re not alone. Being a real witch is a hard role to play, but it’s also a blessing. Jaci explore these selves one by one and fall in love with the history of our people.” She looked around the whole store before resting her eyes on me. The love in her eyes was unmistakable and the way she spoke of this place was with devotion. “Your mom wanted to take you here and I’m fulfilling her wish. My mom brought me here and your mom also wanted to do the same for you.”