Chapter Twelve: Emotions

Warning people!!! EXPLICIT SCENE IN THE FOLLOWING!!! That is EXACTLY why I rated it PG-13 because I think only people who are older than thirteen can handle the following without going “OMG! Adult Content!” If you don’t think you’ll be able to handle it, then do not go on. You might just have to read the first part and move on… I warned you.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Before Mr. and Ms. McCallehy left with Amanda, they had explained to me that I never met Brian before but he once saw a picture of me and Ethan. He claimed that I was the girl he was meant to be with and then he and Ethan fought over me. It’d be romantic if there wasn’t the fact that he was crazy. Like, he had to go to the doctor for being so… mentally ill. They said that when he wants something, he is somehow convinced that he is supposed to have it and there’s nothing wrong with whatever he does to get it. They told me that he nearly beat a man to death for his car when he was thirteen. Imagine what he could do to me?

And then, after our meeting at the mall two years ago, Ethan never contacted me again because he didn’t want Brian to get involved with me. During the time when Ms. McCallehy was telling me about this, Ethan had gotten up to go put Avory to sleep. She told me that Ethan was never the same afterwards and he became more solitary. He would constantly go to her and say, “I want to see Sophia, mom.” but Ms. McCallehy couldn’t ever find me to let him see me (not like I was going to anyway). But then I went into labor and he followed me to the hospital. Just hearing this was so… painful. He was only… protecting me.

“Ethan,” I called. I didn’t really care about anything but whether he was okay or not. Because, when you think about it, Ethan has done most of the sacrificing for this relationship. He’s experienced more pain. And all I wanted to do was hold him and, I don’t know, maybe fix what we could. I didn’t want any secrets anymore and, if he needed to cry, he could. For once, I was here for him.

Ethan shot around the corner, putting a finger up to his lips. “He’s sleep.” But I didn’t care (sorry Avory). I ignored his gesture and looked to the ground. I felt so… guilty. Like if I had gone to see him just once, maybe he wouldn’t have to keep secrets from me. I feel like he doesn’t tell me anything because he’s afraid I’ll leave. He probably didn’t tell me about Brian because he’d though I was going to run away and never contact him again. First of all, I’m too far into this relationship to even think about doing that and, second, Brian would just follow me according to what Amanda said about him. He “pursues’ what he wants and I’m apparently number one on his list.

“Why,” I asked. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Like, I don’t know, two years ago? Before I never spoke to you again?”

He sighed. “And then what?”

I shrugged because I really didn’t know. If someone tells you that they can’t be with you because of their crazy cousin, what would you do? I had no idea what I’d do. But I definitely knew one thing. “You could have protected me… like now.” I was trying to not look at him because I hated tight conversations like these. They usually ended up emotional and both parties ended up crying. I really didn’t want to cry today, I’m sorry. I just didn’t. “I would have believed you.”

“Would you,” there was a bit of doubt in his tone. It made me doubt myself.

Yes! It could have been better than this!” He furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding what I meant. “There’s no progress! There’s only a thousand secrets that I don’t know about. What are you going to tell me next? That Brian thinks Avory is his?” Ethan just looked down. “Oh my god! He does?!” Ethan nodded. “See what I mean?!”