Humanity's Decline

With Orr sunk beneath the waves and Ascalon in ruins still fighting the charr High Legions only Kryta remained among the human nations of continental Tyria. In 1072 AE Ascalon was further weakened. With the charr pushing ever further Prince Rurik began to believe that they should retreat to another land and regain their strength to take back Ascalon in the future. His father, King Adelbern, was outraged at this. After the fall of Rin, the second capital of Ascalon, Prince Rurik was exiled from the land. Rurik did not leave alone, however. He offered the people a chance of a new life in Kryta, and began the Ascalonian migration west.

Crossing the Shiverpeak Mountains the Ascalonians met resistance in the form of the Stone Summit dwarves, a splinter faction of Deldrimor. In crossing the Shiverpeaks to protect his people Prince Rurik sacrificed his life to hold back the Stone Summit. At this time Kryta itself was attacked by undead under Khilbron's command, in the hope of finding the Scepter of Orr and fulfilling the Flameseeker Prophecies - which foretold the extinction of the mursaat and the White Mantle's fall and the release of the titans from behind the Door of Komalie. Although originally saviors, the White Mantle fell to corruption and - under the orders of their Unseen Ones - they sacrificed innocents to power soul batteries to prevent the Flameseeker Prophecies from coming to pass. This in turn sparked a rebellion within the land: a war between White Mantle and Shining Blade. Through the help of Ascalonian heroes and the Shining Blade the Flameseeker Prophecies were completed: the mursaat who hadn't been killed had fled, the White Mantle's leadership destroyed and the heir of King Jadon, Salma, found. The titans themselves were locked away once more after Khilbron's death.

Tyria was not the only continent besieged with problems however. Across the Unending Ocean, in Cantha, Shiro Tagachi returned as an Envoy and brought forth the Affliction, decimating the Empire of the Dragon and their population. However, Shiro was eventually defeated, and the Afflicted were wiped out over the next eight years by the newly formed Ministry of Purity. Cantha saw a peaceful time once more, although still affected by the events that occurred. Of all human nations, Cantha remained the strongest.

In 1075 AE, Elona saw the fruits of Abaddon's plot in the form of Nightfall. Demons from the Mists entered the land, and through Abaddon's power the land itself was slowly transformed into a nightmarish version of its true self. Through the united efforts of the Order of the Sunspears and the Order of Whispers, Abaddon was eventually defeated. But a god's power cannot be destroyed. To prevent Abaddon's rampant energies from annihilating Tyria Kormir rushed into the colliding energies uncertain of what would happen, and she came out as the new goddess of truth.