Sunburnt Heart

Ella's POV

It was a dark, cold, winters morning.

Ali and I are getting ready for work.

I finish combing my straight, dark brown hair before making my way downstairs into the kitchen. I start to make breakfast for myself and Ali.

We have been friends since, well since I can remember. Best friends. We even live together.

We've gone to the same school and we've grown up together, she's practically the sister I never had.

As I pour the cereal into the bowl my eyes drift to the microwave. It had built in time and the time said eight forty five. Which means we are late once again! Not good.

"Ali, we're late!" I yell up the stairs. And with that Ali clumsily stumbles downstairs.

Her straight brown hair is a mess and her clothes are all crumpled.

"Ali you look like a hobo." I say in a mocking tone.

She frowns at me before fixing her self in the mirror which is hung in the hallway. She ties her layered hair into a pony tail.

She grabs her keys and we leave the flat. She starts the car. "Lets go then little miss perfect."

Whilst getting into the car, I seem to have forgotten my phone.

I race back inside and retrieve it.

We finally arrive at the diner.

It's a moderately big diner, it has that retro vibrant look that was so popular years ago.

"Ella and Ali, why am I not surprised to see you two late?" Asks Jenny the manager of the diner.

"We're sorry Jenny, there was traffic and-" I was cut of by Jenny saying "Never mind just get to work girls." she snapped and with that, we both got to work like she said.

Ali was putting all the clean dishes away whilst I was sweeping the floor.

"Why is Jenny so moody today?" Ali grunts.

"Probably her time of the month or something. She's such a stroppy cow." I insult.

"I know. I mean we weren't even that late. I can't wait till we get out of this dump." Ali says.

"Yeah, and when exactly will that be?" I ask Ali.

"Well..." She trails off.

"Exactly. We're stuck in this place, so we have to deal with it." I tell her.

Ali sighs. "I guess so."

"You're still cleaning the dishes Ali? Chop chop, you have tables to waitress on." Jenny hisses.

"Yes Jenny." Ali sighs. Jenny turns around and walks away. Ali sticks her middle fingers up behind her back.

"Chop chop, you have tables to waitress on." she starts to mimick Jenny's voice. "I mean who does she think she is? The fucking queen?" she complains.

"Go on Ali, you can't upset her majesty." I laugh at her whilst chucking her a notepad.

Tiredly, Ali walks out to the front of the diner towards her first table.

I finish off sweeping the floor and put my waitress apron on. I then walk out to the front of the diner.

I go to the table right next to Ali's when the corner of my eye catches the door opening.

Wow.

A scruffy ginger lad walks in, his hair all messy, laughing with his Asian friend. He was the slightest bit chubby but had a smile which made my heart melt.