The One That Got Away

No, you never broke my heart.
No, we never broke up
No, we never stopped being in love.

But still different situations made us pull apart from each other. And we let them do so because we felt it is better for both of us to let go. We never understood what we were. We were two people who were hopelessly in love but we couldn't be together. We were two people who knew that we wanted each other for the rest of our lives, yet we'd have different partners.

I might come to love the person I will spend the rest of my life with but I want you to know, if I had a choice, it would have been you. And if we ever get to meet again, I would feel the same way as I feel right now. And though I want you to move on in your life towards what is better for you, I would still get jealous when I will see you with your wife. I would still envy her. I would still wish I was her.

I don't know why we can't be together. I don't know what the bigger picture is. But I have no complaints from you. I cherish every single second I got to spend being in love with you. Although it hurts my heart to let go, I would leave with a smile on my face.

Leave with the good memories I have had with you. Leave with the immense amount of love I hold for you in my heart. Leave me with bittersweet memory of us coming to terms with the fact that we have to let go. I would love you forever and I have loved you like I have never loved before. And whenever I would look back, I would only see us and have regret.

Regret as to why I couldn't mold the situation to play on our terms. Regret not trying hard enough. Regret letting you go, always. But to quote the lyrics of Katy Perry, I promise you, "In another life, I would be your girl"

I love you very much and you would always be one of the best things that happened to me. This letter is for the one I wanted but can never have. For the one that got away.