Chapter 3: A Crazy Night for Dreams

The cafeteria was quiet. I didn't know what to say. I was so confused. What just happened? Who was that? I opened my mouth to ask Percy.

But he was already gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Percy didn't show the rest of the day.

Back at home I was sitting on my bed and trying to do homework. A half eaten cupcake on my night stand. I couldn't finish it. The only reason I had the cupcake was because Uncle had brought half a dozen with him when he came to pick me up from school. Cupcakes and homework are a good combination. But I stopped eating it as soon as my mind drifted back to Percy.

What was he doing? Why was everything so strange at school?

The night passed very slowly. When the sun finally went down over the horizon of high-rises, I was already asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dreamed that two boys were talking in a room. The door was shut, and the taller one sat at the head of a table. The shorter one pacing the floor.

"Grover you can't," the blunt voice said from the chair at the table, "It'll be a waste, she won't come." The figure crossed his arms. He was sitting at a.......ping-pong table? And he was playing with the edge of a bowl.

"Why do you say that? Is it because of something she said? Did you already ask her?" Another voice asked. This voice sounded a little older, but higher pitched and nasally.

"No, it's because she doesn't understand." He breathed in......out, "She'll think that we're crazy, I never got to finish with her before a crokanse came!"

The second voice began to shake, "You can't keep that a secret! You need to tell Charion--"

"-No." The first voice grumbled stubbornly.

"Fine." The second voice answered bluntly, "But I'm still going to do my duty as her satyr and go collect her." He stood up, and I saw his face. Scrawny features, and fluffy brown hair. A really bad aftershave.

"Grover, wait, hold on--!" The figure at the table shot up.

The dream ended there.

As I say there in my bed I realized that the voice of the guy sitting at the table, was Percy's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up for the second time that night in a sweaty haze. I had a weird dream, but I couldn't really recall it. Something out-of-the-ordinary? But I usually remembered my dreams, and not remembering was strange.

During my sleep, I'd torn all the sheets from my bed, and the French doors that opened up to the wrap-around balcony, were wide open. But I was still hot. My skin glistened with a fine layer of sweat and my hair stuck up at odd angles. I tried to smooth my hair down, gave up, and gathered my sheets up. The thinner ones I put back on the bed, the comforter and other sheets, I threw off. It was way too hot for them.

I tried going back to bed. The thinnest sheet was still too much of a layer, but I couldn't sleep without the weight of it.

It took me about twenty minutes to fall back asleep. But when I did, dreams greeted me again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This time it was of a tall blond boy with bright green eyes, a large ragged scar cut across his face. But it didn't seem to stop his bright smile as he looked at a girl with black hair, bright blue eyes and almost goth style clothing.

"So," he said, "I was thinking about something earlier today." His left hand came up at started toying with her hair.

"Yah?" She answered, "And what were you thinking?" Her snarky grin showing.

The boy laughed. It sounded happy, but almost too happy like he'd never known any kind of sadness. But something changed, and he didn't say what he was going to.

"I was thinking about how you cheated climbing the rock wall today."

She mocked being taken aback, like this was a normal trading thing for her, "What! No I didn't!" She moved closet to him, they were now sitting right next to each other.

He raised an eyebrow sassily. An 'oh really' written clearly on his face.

"You're such an awful liar Luke."

They were sitting on a giant log on the sands of a beach. Small waves lapping at the shore, and a familiar backdrop in front of them, miles away.

That's New York!

I found my building within seconds, and only looked back to the couple when I realized they'd stopped talking.

I immediately understood why. They were going in for a kiss.

But he stopped.

"I-I can't Thalia. I'm sorry." And he shot up on his heels and ran.

Her face froze, and she dropped her face into her hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was only three in the morning. I couldn't sleep anymore. I wasn't tired, and the dreams I was having were just too real. Who were these people? I was certain that I'd never seen any of these people before. Well, except for Percy, but I hadn't really seen him. Just heard his voice.

A siren blared through the streets, followed by the sounds of honking. New York drivers were crazy. Streets here were never quiet.

I slid out of my bed and walked across the room, stopping at the window-wall and looking across the water. I couldn't see anything that would match the beach that I was at in my dream.

"Maybe that's all it was, just a dream." I told myself, my quiet voice sounding so loud in the dark room. "There are no weird people, no ping pong tables, and no Luke or Thalia." Saying their names was strange, I almost wished they were real.

I turned away from the window, and came face-to-face with the boy from the ping pong dream.

My mouth frozen shut in shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like??