Chapter Twenty One: Down to Earth

Remember to comment and vote, please! The positive feedback is what's keeping this story going!

Freya/Mila's POV

I landed sloppily on the Rainbow Bridge a couple meters away from the entrance to the Bifrost. I stumbled and Thrud slid off my back just after I pulled my wings back in. We both looked behind us and saw Mothi and Freyr already running towards us. They both had big grins on their faces.

I grinned, too, and ran for the entrance. Heimdall stood there like a statue.

"Heimdall, you already know why we're here."

"Yes."

"Is that an answer to what I just said or what I'm about to ask?"

"Both." He turned and went back into the Bifrost, waiting for us.

I momentarily cheered (I probably looked so stupid) and went to stand by the opening with my brother and cousins. I was so excited my stomach hurt, if you know what I mean.

"Thank you, Heimdall," I said, and he nodded before activating the Bifrost and I felt like I was sucked into the swirling tornado of color that turned into an experience much like sliding down a water slide on your stomach, except you weren't sliding on anything. I just felt like I was diving down back to earth, my home.

Thor's POV

"Dammit!" Loki shouted, and I flinched at the volume.

"Loki, control yourself---" Odin tried to say, but Loki interrupted him with an infuriated look and more screaming.

"I should have been more careful!" he cried, completely infuriated.

"Loki, please explain to me what exactly happened," Odin said in a firm voice. "What I've collected so far is that you and Thor decided to keep your children locked up in the castle by means of a prison spell. Why did you do that, exactly?"

"I did not know he had put my son and daughter within the jurisdiction of the spell," I interjected defensively, and also angry at Loki. How dare he discipline my children without my consent?

"They were wreaking just as much havoc as my children!" Loki yelled at me.

"That doesn't mean you have the right to---"

"Silence!" the Allfather commanded, and our bickering stopped. "Loki, why did the spell fail?" Odin asked.

Loki stopped fuming enough to explain that Freya and Freyr were connected by a magical bond that mortals thought to be a myth. Twins were mentally connected in a way that they could feel the emotions of their sibling, and Freyr must have sensed Freya's pain and experienced her anger. All the magical tension so close to the borders of the spell cancelled it out and it broke. They had all apparently made a plan to escape as soon as Loki had lifted it anyway, so they took their opportunity to leave and now they were gone. Even Heimdall couldn't bring them back unless they wanted to come back.

"The only solution is to go get them. Whether they come obediently or kicking and screaming. I don't care," Loki said. "Please, Allfather. Let me go and get them."

"Father, Freya has yearned to go back to Midgard ever since she got here. I think it would be good if we let them stay there for awhile," I told Odin, contradicting Loki.

"Are you insane? They don't know what to do! It's a completely different realm!"

"Why do you want them back here so much, Loki?" Odin asked, and I could tell he wanted a serious answer from Loki. "I'm sure they will be fine with Freya there, but why do you want them here?" He was being blunt. He wanted to know what Loki was planning.