Chapter 4

Honey! What happened?" My mom yelled when I went inside. "We were doing gymnastics in PE and when I was doing a hand stand I fell on my hip and elbows." I answered as I sat down wincing in pain. "How could that have happened!?" she said not wanting to believe my story. "You know that Mrs. Winters likes to push us. But she did warn me not to push myself to much, so it's totally my fault that I fell so, don't sue the school." I said trying to figure out a good story that makes it an accident. "Honey, why would I sue the school?" She asked. "I don't know mom, you can be like that sometimes." "Okay, Honey I won't sue the school." My mom answered in a sarcastic tone. All I could think about at dinner that night, was him.

The next morning, Tuesday, I was walking to book club when I saw him. He must have seen me too. He walked over and put his arm over my shoulder and asked, "How's my little damsel doing today?" "So I'm guessing that's going to be a permanent nickname than? And yeah, I'm not doing good, thanks for asking." I answered sarcastically. He smiled. "Where are you going?" He asked his arm still around my shoulder. I moved his arm off my shoulder and said, "I'm going to book club. I have to be there now so, I'll see you soon." I started to walk away when he said, "wait, what's your eighth hour class?" I answered, "English." "Okay," He said "I'll meet you there after school. Bye." He left and so did I. During that day I found out that James was in my study hall and science class. During science I was called to the principal's office. I looked over at James and he winked at me. I knew that this had something to do with him.

"So what happened?" the principle asked when I sat down across from him.

"What?" I asked.

"Ms. Hollins, don't lie to me. I know something happened look at yourself."

"I fell off a ladder at home and landed on my hip and elbows."

"That's not what your mother said."

"She told you."

"Yes. I know you're not in PE but I didn't tell her that. If you didn't want to tell her it's your problem not mine, but something happened in these halls and that is my problem."

"One of them pushed me to the ground. Please, don't get them in trouble. I think they are going to stop but if I get them in trouble they won't."

"Why do you think they will stop?"

"I have a protector."

"And who is this protector?"

"James"

"You're going to have to be more specific."

"James Ballin."

"Okay, I'll talk to him. You may go back to class."

I left and went back to class.

When I was back in class James looked over at me and I winked. He understood.

After eighth hour James was outside the door waiting for me and he said, "Hey damsel". "How did you get here so early?" I asked him." Mr. Howard lets us out early." He answered. I nodded. "Follow me." He said. I followed him to the stair case that I usually go down to go to my locker. He said, "Follow my lead and try not to at surprised." "Okay?" I said, I was skeptical but I think I understood what he was doing. He grabbed my hand and we went downstairs. We went to our lockers. I heard them coming down the stairs. I looked over at James. He had put away his books and was walking towards me. We met in the middle and he whispered to me, "ready?" I nodded. He put his arm around my waist and we started walking towards the door together. I tried not to look surprised. They didn't do anything. After all these years all I needed was to walk with someone for them not to do anything! "Don't look at them," James whispered.

We were out of the door far enough so they couldn't see us and I asked, "Okay, what was that about." He answered, "Having a boy walking with you detours others females that want to harm you. I learned that from my sisters. And, I guessed that since I saved you yesterday if I was there they wouldn't be hard on you." "Thanks. That was the first school day in four years that they haven't hassled me." I said. He had moved his hand of my waist at this point. "Wow. I hope I'm not being rude but how did you get that nickname?" "Puppy?" I asked. "Yeah," he answered. "Well in seventh grade we were playing a game in math and I had to act out the word puppy. I did it and they just started calling me that. It's stupid." I explained. "Yeah, it is." He said. We had gotten to my car. We said our goodbyes. I went to work feeling really good about this friendship we had formed. I didn't even notice that I had started to like him.