Chapter One

Michael wraps a protective arm around his boyfriend, Calum, as they walk into school. They're forced to ignore all of the strange looks and whispers that accompany them as they walk through the hallways together.

Looking at the two of them, you wouldn't expect them to be dating. In fact, you wouldn't even expect them to be friends.

Michael is covered in tattoos and piercings and his hair is dyed an unnaturally bright red color. He wears all black and drives a motorcycle. He's known as the school's 'bad boy'.

Calum is almost the exact opposite. He enjoys wearing bright colors and has no tattoos or piercings on him at all. He is shy as hell and has very few friends, unlike Michael who is one of the most popular guys in school.

Michael has always known that he was gay ever since he first started to develop romantic feelings. He'd kissed a few girls in his preteen years to try and convince himself that he wasn't into boys, but he just never felt that spark.

Over the past summer, Calum and Michael had started spending a lot of time together. Michael'd had to go to summer school, and Calum had been assigned to tutor him.

Michael had always had a secret crush on the small boy, but he'd been too afraid to admit his feelings. He, the Michael Clifford, was afraid of being rejected by the school loser.

However, by the time summer started coming to an end, Michael found himself not wanting to let go of Calum. He asked him to be his boyfriend during one of their routine study sessions, and nobody was more surprised than Michael when Calum said yes.

Now it's December, and the boys are coming up on their four month anniversary. Michael is always very protective of Calum while they're at school because he knows that he used to get bullied and teased for his sexuality. Michael could never understand why anyone would want to hurt someone as precious as Calum, but they did.

Sometimes Calum still got picked on, but it wasn't nearly as bad as before. Nobody would dare lay a hand on him when Michael was around unless they had some sort of death wish.

Calum is so happy to be with Michael. He'd always felt a strong attraction to the red-headed boy, which is why he'd agreed to tutor him last summer. He would've never dreamed that the super-popular bad boy of the school would ever like him back. Hell, he didn't even know Michael was gay until he asked him out.

Calum was still getting teased on pretty much a daily basis by a certain group of boys about his outfits and his feminine habits, but it was nowhere near as bad as it was before he started dating Michael.

The bullies, particularly a guy named Jake, used to beat Calum up every chance they got. They were apparently so offended by his life choices that they decided to make his life a living hell.

Jake seemed to back off a little at the start of this year, though; physically, at least. Calum didn't tell Michael about the verbal teasing he received whenever Michael wasn't around because he knew that Mikey would immediately come to his defense and probably end up getting himself in trouble which is the last thing Calum wanted.

The two boys soon arrive at the entrance to Calum's first class. Michael pulls the small boy toward him and pecks him on the lips, murmuring a 'see you later', and then sauntering off to his own class. Michael doesn't care about being late, it was almost expected of him at this point.

Calum takes his usual seat on the far side of the classroom and pulls out his notebook. It's a purple notebook that's littered with his own drawings and favorite quotes. Jake had called it his 'fag diary', but that didn't stop Calum from using it. He loved that notebook.