Chapter Three

With only a week left until Christmas break, the entire school seems to be buzzing with excitement. Calum decided to get into the Christmas spirit by wearing lots of red and green throughout this last week, but not so much that it's tacky. He would never be tacky.

Today he's wearing a plain white t-shirt and a pair of red skinny jeans. He had texted Michael this morning telling him to wear the flannel he'd bought him so that they could be matching. Michael was more than happy to wear the shirt, knowing the smile that it would bring to his boyfriend's face.

"Only eleven more days!" Calum says, bouncing excitedly as he and Michael walk through the school hallways.

Michael giggles, loving the way that Calum gets so excited about Christmas. Calum's parents invited Michael to spend Christmas at their place this year since Michael's mom wasn't going to be able to make it home for the holiday. Usually, Christmas was just like every other day for Michael, but this year he actually found himself getting excited.

The two of them had agreed not to get each other gifts. It's an enormous amount of pressure trying to find the perfect gift for someone that you care so much about, and Calum could tell that the idea of it was stressing Michael out. So when Calum suggested that they just write each other cards instead, Michael readily agreed.

"Yeah, only eleven days till Christmas," Michael echoes. "But do you know what else today is?"

They arrive in front of Michael's locker and Calum turns around and looks up at him, a smile spreading across his face.

"Four months," he says.

Michael leans forward and places a small kiss on Calum's lips. "The best four months of my life," he adds.

The bell rings to start the last period of the day, and suddenly the hallways empty out.

"Crap," Calum says, his eyes going wide. "I've got to get to class!"

Michael just smiles. He forgets sometimes how much Calum cares about school because Michael himself couldn't care less.

"Meet me outside the school after?"

Calum nods and scurries quickly to his math class.

Michael watches him until he's out of sight and then slowly makes his way to English. He walks in a few minutes late, earning a glare from his teacher. Michael just smirks and takes his seat. His teachers know better than to lecture him about his tardiness at this point.

The hour seems to drag by slowly as Michael daydreams about his date later with Calum. He's taking him out to his favorite restaurant to celebrate their four months together. It wasn't anything big or fancy, but it's special nonetheless.

Michael texts Calum a few times during class, just sending him silly messages and pictures to make him smile. Michael knows that he won't see them until after class, though, because Calum never has his phone out while a teacher is talking.

Calum, on the other hand, is hastily scribbling down all of the notes that his teacher is putting up on the board. Math is actually one of his favorite subjects, and it's the one that he tutored Michael in over the summer which only makes it more special. However, this year he's taking Calculus, and some of it is really difficult, even for him.

The bell rings and Calum hurriedly writes down the last of his notes before the teacher starts erasing everything from the board. He shoves his notebook into his book bag and then walks quickly out of the classroom.

He's supposed to meet Michael right outside the front door of the school, but as he turns to walk toward it, he sees Jake and his posse blocking the way. Jake smiles when he sees Calum, and Calum quickly turns around and walks the other way, not wanting to take his chances with them today. Especially when Michael isn't around to protect him.