Chapter Fifteen

| Surprise Smut |
.

.

.

-Ariana-
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"So?" Jared asked the second I got into the car.

"I told you not to wait up," I sigh, not meeting his eyes.

"Even if I did leave, no one would've been able to drive you home. Ethan obviously couldn't care less."

My jaw drops open as I glare at him. "What the hell, Jared?"

"Hey, I'm just being honest here, alright?" He defends. "I take it you two didn't exactly solve your issues?"

I feel anger swell inside me. It really wouldn't hurt him to at least act a little compassionate about this touchy subject here!

"No," I answer indignantly. "We barely talked about anything."

From the corner of my eye, I see Kyle reach out and begin to poke Jared's shoulder, pausing between short intervals. Jared ignores him.

"You're not getting back together?" He frowns.

I roll my eyes and turn away, looking out the window. The chances of Ethan and I reconciling seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer as the seconds tick by.

"I asked," I finally reply, feeling his eyes on me.

"And?" He presses on. "Don't leave me in the dark here, Ariana."

I look down, wiping my sweaty palm on my knee. "He didn't say no."

"That's great," he shrugs, obviously confused as to why I'm so hesitant.

"But he didn't say yes either," I continue warily.

He smacks his forehead. "Christ, it's like you two want to be dramatic -- Kyle, do that one more time and you won't have a finger left to poke me with."

" 'Ey, no," he complains, slumping in the backseat. "I need those fingers, man," he winks.

Jared groans and rubs his forehead wearily while I let out a sigh and shake my head. Drunk Kyle is a piece of work alright.

"What about Kyle?" Jared nods his head at the psycho.

I glance at him. "Yeah, what about him?"

"You had feelings for--"

"Jared!" I interject, slightly panicked.

"He's fucking drunk, he won't remember a thing when he wakes up, Ari," he points out.

I look back at Kyle and find him staring out the window and laughing at something I can't see. That guy's as good as gone tonight.

"I had this dream," I explain, "that I kissed Kyle," I pause. "I thought that meant I liked him but I just wasn't aware of it yet, but I guess it was just... a dream. It was a meaningless dream."