Chapter Eighteen

- Ethan -

.

.

.

.

.

When I wake up the next day, everything that happened the day before crashes upon me and I feel like I might get sick. I don't wanna talk to anyone today, I don't wanna see anyone today... I'm just at a loss for words.

Ariana might've been upset about me being, like, five hours late -- completely understandable. Maybe, I came off as a douchebag who wanted to get even with her. You know, she blew me off on Christmas so last night it would've been my turn to stand her up, right? But that wasn't the case! And you're the witness! That thought never even crossed my mind anyway. I'd never hurt her like that.

But that's not how it is with her, apparently. Whenever I have my back turned, I take one last glance to find that Kyle's sweeping her off her feet. Again.

And don't even get me started about how lovey-dovey they were yesterday. All cuddled up together and shit... Got my stomach to flip so hard I almost felt queasy. That look they'd given each other was unmistakeable. There's something between them, and if Ariana won't decide which one of us she wants to have around already, I'll make the choice for her. 'Cause I'm out.

I leave the house the second I'm awake and all freshened up and drive. I don't know where I'm going, but I want it to be far away from everything -- from everyone.

I don't know how long I've been on the road when I finally pull up near this grassy field. It looks like an isolated park with only a few benches and trees scattered around. Perfect.

I head over to the nearest bench and take a seat, looking around at my surroundings. All I want to do is clear my head. And I do that, deciding that maybe it's time for a change. Maybe I should just give this up. All signs and coincidences point to the exit zone in this fucked up relationship of ours.

While I drown in my own thoughts, I barely notice the person approaching me before they're standing right next to the bench. I look up and my brows furrow in recognition as well as bewilderment.

"You," I utter, staring.

"Hi, Ethan," the girl from last night says.

Her dark, straight hair is pulled back into a ponytail and her brown eyes seem brighter in the morning light. She's wearing a grey tank-top, black leggings and sports shoes -- giving me the impression that she's probably out for a jog.

"What are you doing in this part of town?" She asks curiously. "Don't you live, like, an hour away?"

I nod. "Yeah, but it's not such a great morning for me and sometimes..." I sigh. "Sometimes I need to get away from everything."

She shuffles, shifting her weight from her right foot to her left before plopping next to me.

"Anything you want to rant about to a stranger?" She questions.

I glance at her, a smile tugging at my lips. "Nah."

"Seriously, you look like someone ran over your puppy."

I chortle, shaking my head. "Have you ever fallen in love with someone but found that, no matter how hard you try, things just never work out? And whenever you think it might go well, everything comes crashing down on you?"