Chapter Thirty Three

~ Mid August ~

.

.

- Ariana -

.

.

.

"Please site your vows," the priest uttered, smiling at both Alicia and my dad.

I stand by Alicia's side as her maid of honor, quietly sniffling as happy tears pricked my eyes. My eyes dart to Jared's and I find that he's been looking at me this entire time. He gives me a small smile and mouths 'you look beautiful' as I grin and turn away, blushing slightly.

"Ladies first," my dad teases.

Alicia takes a deep breath and looks him dead in the eye. "If there's one thing I've learned from being with you, Joseph, it's that first impressions don't matter. Because I distinctly remember that, the moment I met you, you were a complete mess." Chortles and chuckles are heard from the crowd. "I remember the way you just walked up to me in that coffee shop and I was thinking: oh God, now I have to make up an excuse to leave. And you tried to flirt with me but," she shakes her head, chuckling, "you failed miserably. Nevertheless, I gave you a chance. We ended up going on a date that night, and, ever since then, my life changed forever. You were all I thought about, all that ran through my mind everyday. I thought I had it all before I met you: a successful job, a roof over my head. You were that cherry on top of my ice cream, Joseph, and I'm so, so glad you got the courage to come up to me. Because if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be standing here today, getting married to the man I love."

Tears brim my dad's eyes as he looks at Alicia like he's the happiest man on Earth. It takes him a moment to adjust himself before he starts citing his vows.

"Before I met you, all I saw was grey," he starts. "The only thing I did all day was go to work, go home, stress, then sleep, like it was a routine. But then you came into my life, and with you, the colors flourished into my skies. I woke up smiling, I went to bed grinning, the mere thought of you was enough to flip my day upside right. I never thought I'd find love after my wife passed away, Alicia, but you proved me wrong. You showed me that there'll always be second chances, that broken hearts can mend. And for that, I'll forever be grateful. I love you."

"That was beautiful," the priest smiles. "Do you, Joseph Dale, take Alicia Elson, to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"I do," he answers.

"And do you, Alicia Elson, take Joseph Dale, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"God," she nods, her eyes tearing up, "I do, I definitely do."

I move forward and so does my dad's best man -- Nolan -- to switch the rings.

"From the power vested in me by the state of California," he continues. "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

My dad eagerly but gently lifts the veil, takes a few seconds to take in the sight of Alicia, before kissing her passionately. Everyone claps and whistles as they pull away and laugh, waving at their audience.

"And off to the party!" Nolan cheers, fisting the air. Everyone 'whoop's!' in reply as they stand up and walk behind the bride and groom.

_____