Pt 13. About Kala

Gaara's P.O.V

I carried Kindia for days. Often, she was fully conscious, but she couldn't move enough to walk. Her shivering remained constant, but she could still talk in a soft, croaky voice.

Somehow, the two of us got seperated from the others.

“Kankuro! Miro! Tiera! Temari!” I called their names. There was no reply.

We were alone.

That night, we took shelter in an empty cave. I lit a fire, and laid out a sleeping bag beside it for us to share. We ate a simple meal.

“Gaara, my clothes are ruined,” she said. I looked at her. She was right. Her clothes were drenched and torn. Her skin was pale, and  some places had a blue-ish colour due to the cold.

“Is there anything we can do?” I asked sadly. She gave a small shrug.

“I don't know.” I looked at her for a minute.

“Those clothes will only add to your suffering. You need to get out of them,” I said.

“Can you take them off of me? I can't move enough to do so,” she said with a sigh.

“Are you ok with that?” I frowned at her.

“Gaara, I don't care about you seeing my body,” she said softly.

I moved to kneel beside her, and she looked up at me from where she lay on the sleeping bag.

Slowly, and awkwardly, I helped her take off her clothing so that she was just wearing her undergarments.

My heavy coat was waterproof, so I was completely dry apart from my shoes.

I kicked them off, and lay down beside her, zipping the sleeping bag up to cover us.

Although she protested, I moved close to her, and held her to my chest.

“You need warmth. The only options here are the fire, sleeping bag, and me. Kindia, you need to trust me,” I said softly. When I said that, she stopped complaining.

We fell asleep an hour or so later.

Kindia's P.O.V

Gaara carried me again the next day. Instead of wearing clothing, I was wrapped up in the sleeping bag, as my clothing was not useable.

Towards what I think was midday, his face lit up.

“What is it?” I asked in my croaky voice.

“We've reached our destination,” he smiled at me.

Someone must have seen us, because Kankuro, Tiera, Miro, Temaki, and three other ninjas came running out of the giant warehouse we were heading to.

The ninjas tried to take me from Gaara, but he held onto me.

“I stay with her,” he said sternly. They led us into the building. It was warm inside. The ninjas led Gaara and I to a room with extra heat. It felt like being put in an oven.

They set me down on one of the two beds.

“We need to get her onto that bed,” one of them told Gaara.

“I'll deal with it. Can I have the other bed?” he asked.

“If you don't mind the heat, and it's ok with her, then fine.” He nodded, and the three ninjas left. Kankuro, Tiera, Miro and Temari looked at me sadly.

“What?” I asked.

“Your skin is almost blue,” Tiera sighed.

“Leave us, please,” I said softly. They nodded, and left me with Gaara. Carefully, he unwrapped the sleeping bag I was in, and moved me onto the other bed, where he put warm blankets on top me.

“Thank you, Gaara,” I said quietly. He looked down at me with sorrow.

“I love you. I'll do anything for you,” he said lovingly. I managed a small smile.

“Me too.”

Slowly, he bent down and kissed my forehead.

“I'll come back soon. Don't worry about me. Just relax,” he said softly. I nodded, and he left the room. After a few minutes, I fell asleep.

Gaara's P.O.V

I stepped outside. The others were waiting patiently.

“Will she be ok?” Tiera asked in a small voice. I lowered my head.

“I can only hope so.”

“What happened to her when the bandits attacked?” Temari asked with a frown.

“I don't know. When she has recovered more, I will find out,” I said softly.

“You protected her. You've done everything you can for her so far,” Miro said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I nodded.

“I care about her more than anything else.”

Kindia's P.O.V

I woke up the next day.

Are you ok, Kindia? I heard Kala's voice.

Kala, what happened? Why did you fall unconscious?

I'm sorry. I acted without thinking. You see, when I or the person I am with uses all their chakra, I fall into acoma for a few days. The warmth I put in their blood vanishes, and the tattoo loses its shine. I shared my chakra with you when you were fighting the bandits. But I used to much. I fell into acoma. You lost my warmth, and since we were in the snow, you became fragile and freezing, like stepping into a giant freezer. I am so sorry. I did not mean for this to happen.

It is ok. I forgive you. Is the warmth back in me?

It is. Your body is recovering two hundred times as quick as it should. You should be back to normal within an hour.

Thank you.

You are welcome.

We stopped talking, and I lay there for a few hours, thinking, without her commenting.

Suddenly, Gaara walked in.

“Hey,” I smiled at him.

His jaw almost dropped.

“How did you recover so quick? You look normal!” he sounded both stunned and thrilled.

“Kala returned to me,” I said with a shrug. I described what she had told me.

“Are you fit to move?” he asked, sitting down on the bed beside me.

“Kala says that I should be.” He smiled.

“I guess I have to thank Kala for being in you.”

If I wasn't here, she wouldn't have gone through that, but I accept your thanks, Kala said. I laughed outwardly.

“She blames herself for what happened to me, but she accepts your thanks,” I said to Gaara.

“Before you start getting up and everything, you need some clothing,” he said with a smile.

“There is some more clothing in my pack, wherever that is now,” I shrugged.

He kissed me softly.

“I'll track it down, and then we'll get you back on your feet. But for now, stay in bed,” he said quietly. I nodded.

“As you wish.”