"don't let me go."

For the longest time, I've always imagined Zain and I to be together forever. I had everything set for us -- well not quite literally. I mean, after all, everyone does that when they're in a relationship. Zain was supposed -- no, what I assumed -- to be my happily ever after.

How wrong was I?

I had left the mini cafe and made my way back to my seat. I couldn't sit next to him without feeling like I was suffocating. Zain knew me too fucking well and continued to read me like an open book. It fucking scared me. He knew me better than I knew myself. He was the only one who knew how to help me when I needed someone. He knew what irks me and all the things I love.

Zain returned shortly after, sending me a glance. I simply looked away, staring out the window. I tightened my jacket around myself, bringing my legs to my side.

Suddenly, the train came to a slow stop. Zain and I exchanged glances.

"Sorry to interrupt passengers," the conductor said through the speaker, "Due to the snow, we have to make a stop. There's heavy amounts of snow covering the tracks and we cannot move until it is cleared off. Please be patient as there is a team of workers on their way to clear the snow. Thank you."

"Aisha." His voice was low, almost pleading.

"What Zain?" I whispered, not looking away from the window.

"Can we not spend the rest of the train ride like this?" he asked. "I just...We haven't seen each other in years."

"And who's fault is that?" I muttered, looking at him.

He sighed and came to sit next to me. I visibly froze in my seat.

"Mine. All mine. And I accept that," he murmured, letting out a broken sigh. "I know we have a lot of things to talk ab-"

"We don't need to talk about that."

Zain frowned, his eyes searching mine, almost pleadingly. "So you're telling me you're okay with the way we left things? That you're okay with not getting the closure I know we both need? For fucks sake, Aisha, I owe you a goddamn explanation and you're telling me you don't need it?"

"Drop it Zain," I said, tearing my eyes away and looking outside the window. "When I asked for a reason back then, you never gave it to me. And now, I don't want to know anymore. I don't want to talk about this, let alone talk to you right now."

I didn't need to look at him in order to know his jaw was clenched and his fingers clenched.

"You were always so goddamn stubborn," he muttered, more to himself than me.

I didn't reply.

I knew Zain was right. He always was. And no matter how many times I denied it, I knew I needed that closure. All this time, I could never understand why he left me. He didn't date anyone after me -- well, at least I knew of. I thought we were perfect and then he goes ahead and leaves me without a warning.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed him hunched over, gripping his hair. I felt a tug in my heart and it took every ounce of self control in me from wrapping my arms around him.

Fuck. It wasn't fucking fair that even after everything -- even after he broke my fucking heart -- I still loved him to death. I couldn't stand it anymore. Goddammit. I needed him. But I couldn't have him.

"Zain." My voice was low, barely above a whisper. He sat up, leaning his head against the seat. His eyes were shut for a moment or two before he stared at me, his caramel irises penetrating my own. My fingers ached to touch him. I wanted him to touch me. To hold me.

He raised his hand slowly, cautiously, before cupping my cheek. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my forehead for moments. "I've missed you so fucking much, jaan." (A/N: jaan means life in Hindi).

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. "I've missed you too." I dug my face into the crook of his neck, relishing the warmth radiating from his body.

Zain pulled back so that he could look me in the eyes. He gently stroked my cheek with his thumb. And in that moment, as Zain looked at me with eyes filled with emotions that both, scared and thrilled me, I knew this ride was going to change everything.