Chapter Five:

The fire burned warmly inside its grate. The sun dipped lazily beneath the sky. The thick velvet drapes were drawn partly closed. Loki scrutinised Lola’s arm. She tried not to look as he had carefully removed the shards from out of her arm. Bathing the wounds in water, Loki had begun to stitch the first one.
“Where did you learn to do this?” Lola asked curiously.
She’d been amazed by how quickly Loki’s fast working fingers had already sealed the wound and were now attending to the next one.
“We were given medical training from our father when we were children,” Loki said, his face set hard in concentration. “In case we ever needed to treat our Asgardian brothers in war.”
Lola fingered the fur throw lying on Loki’s bed.
“Why are you doing this for me?” Lola asked quietly.
Loki hovers his fingers over her arm in silence.
“I am returning the favour,” Loki replied.
“What favour?” Lola asked in confusion.
Loki offered his palm to her. She traced her fingers over the thin red line that slithered down his hand. His skin felt like ice.
“You helped me, remember? So why can’t I do the same?”
He had finished stitching her arm. Lola saw the ugly black thread that brandished her skin. She stroked it tenderly, feeling its deep and intricate design embedding her arm. She started to stand, feeling foolish. She’d had lack of sleep and was now feeling irritable. She felt Loki’s eyes drawn to her back as she approached the door. 
“Wait.”
She found Loki standing before her.
“I…I…”
“Shush,” Loki murmured, brushing his thumb across her bottom lip. She had begun to feel red hot, ice cold. Her stomach fluttered with excitement. He slowly caressed her face, running his fingers over her lips and nose and forehead before finally resting his hand against her cheek.
“I love you.”
The words were soft, spoken for her alone. She clasped a hand against his and laced her fingers through his hair. They held one another, listening to the other one’s heart beating against theirs. Her mouth lingered before his lips.
“I love you,” she repeated the words upon his mouth.
He tilted his head to kiss her. His lips fell against hers, tentatively holding her like she would shatter at any moment. The kiss then grew in depth, further than any one of them had experienced before. She felt his hands exploring her body, lips trailing hot breathy kisses down her neck, her revealing breasts. Their breathing had become hard, heavy. Sweat slicked over their bodies. Her eyelids fluttered closed. She lifted herself upon him, lips brandishing his skin. Sheets slipped silkily over their bodies. He pressed her lips to her throat - she gave a moan of delighted pleasure. She sighed. It had been the happiness she had ever felt. He kissed the ugly memories away - removing her scars, her pain. He had opened her eyes to a love she thought could never be hers.