17. Whirlwind of ribbons

When Maria opened her eyes, she worried that the world had been plunged into darkness. She tried to call out, but her voice was muffled and she spoke barely above a whisper. Taking a deep breath, she let the moment of panic pass and relaxed her muscles, allowing her body to press against whatever was holding her in place. The grip around her back loosened, and she let out a sigh of relief as she heard the familiar rustle of leather by her ear.

The tumble down the steep slope had disorientated them both, although Robin and Maria had been lucky to land upon a soft bed of moss, slightly moist but nonetheless spongy and resilient. Robin was breathing heavily, his hold on Maria unwavering as he pressed her small frame against his torso. He had managed to save the princess from the majority of damage as they had fallen down the incline, but subsequently now had numerous gashes down his trousers and across his shirt.

They remained in their close embrace for what seemed to be a lifetime. Not a word was passed between them, and even the forest surrounding their mossy bed seemed hushed in humble reverence. Maria did not need his voice to understand the intensity of Robin's emotions in those long moments. As her heartbeat slowed to a steady throb, she became lost in his tender gestures, from the soft tug of his fingers through her hair, to the way his cheek touched against hers and his lips traced the sensitive skin at the shell of her ear.

His voice broke the silence like a wave finally crashing against the shore, "Princess, I don't know what I would do if anything were to ever happen to you."

"It's okay, Robin, I'm perfectly fine," at this, she squeezed her arms around his chest. "It is I who must be giving thanks to you, without your help, who knows where I might be."

"No, Princess, I don't think you fully understand my meaning," he said, slowly releasing his grip from around the girl and pulling her back so that their eyes could meet. Maria was reminded of the evening they had spent together in Loveday's cottage, of how he had lowered himself to his knees and gazed up at her as if she were the brightest star in the night's sky. The look in his eyes was similar now, except it seemed infinitely more intimate than a mere knight to his princess.

"Robin..."

"Surely you see how devoted I am to you, how I am fated to stand by your side until the day you bid me not to. All of the souls in all of Moonacre could not keep me away. Maria, I believe I'm in-"

His words were cut off by the sharp squawk of a large black crow, perched upon a low hanging branch and staring at them with beady eyes. Despite its size, the bird was thin and hunched over, its eyes dull and set in its face like two old and dusty marbles.

It was the first living creature Maria had seen since entering the caves, and there were no signs of any other animals hiding amongst the foliage. Maria held her breath, the crow suddenly seeming sinister company within the dense trees. With another menacing cry, the great beast flapped its wings and ascended up between the branches, circling once around the pair before flying off towards the centre of the forest.

Robin sat in stunned silence, his eyes swimming with words unsaid as he looked up to where the crow had previously been sat. Maria was blushing fiercely as she staggered to her feet, swiftly jumping off of the moss and away from Robin in a whirlwind of ribbons.

"Robin," she paused to clear her throat quietly before continuing, "perhaps we should follow that bird. It flies towards the heart of the forest and may lead us to the gnarled oak."

Robin appeared to have regained his nonchalant attitude, despite stumbling slightly as he moved to his feet and stood between the trees.

"Yes, I agree," he said gruffly, turning away from Maria as he looked into the depths of the forest. "The mists originated from within the woodland; I think it likely that the source of the mystery may be found there."

Maria nodded and shifted her boots hesitantly in the dry bracken. She had not realised at first, for the caves had been dark and bleak with little to vary one tunnel from the next. However, the forest had now also taken on a similarly dreary gloom. The branches and leaves, once rich browns and vivid greens, were dulled by a distinct grey, which seemed to cling to their surfaces like an ashy film. The earth was dry and crisp, with each step resulting in the crunching of dead vegetation deteriorating beneath their feet.

Now standing upright, Maria and Robin were aware of the thick fog that swam languidly between the trees. It swirled and twisted, occasionally obscuring their vision of the ground before them. Maria lifted her hand and swiped at it, attempting to sweep the mist from her face. It whirled away easily enough, catching on her fingers as she dragged it thickly through the air. Nevertheless, moments after it dissipated, another draft rolled in and took its place, once again shrouding the trees and veiling the princess' eyes.

Most disturbing of all, however, was the darkness. Thick clouds of fog billowed across the sky and, here and there, stars flickered dimly before giving into the mists and fading out completely. In place of the moon, a static tornado of fog climbed from the forest and into the night, blocking out the celestial body and trespassing within the heavens.

Maria and Robin knew they had little time left before the fog took over the valley and Moonacre was overcome by the darkness. Yet, as they started their journey into the heart of the woods, the pair were without moonlight to guide their way.