Chapter Ten: Mistaken

We sat in the car silently as we drove back home..

Without Dylan or Lily..

Leaving them behind while they screamed and cried had broken my heart more than I thought it would.

I sat there, my hands in my lap. I felt horrible and I held the tears back.

Closing my eyes.. I replayed this morning.

I had waken up with Dylan jumping onto both Nich and I, making us groan but then laugh and start tickling Dylan.

Then Taylor brought lily in saying she was crying and wouldn't stop..

Right when she had laid her in my arms, lily stopped almost instantly.

The four of us had been in bed talking and tickling and making the kids laugh for a little over an hour.

We then smelt breakfast and carried the kids down stairs to eat.

'Good morning!' Dylan yelled as we walked in and everyone greeted us with smiles..

The morning was spent with all of taking and then letting the kids go play in their play room..

Taylor asked if there were anything that the kids liked or didn't and Nich and I began going through a long list from the top of our heads and they nodded listening carefully...

'Both kids cannot sleep without their soft pink and blue blankets or their stuffed animals. If they don't have them, they won't sleep' I said and they nodded.

Once we were done we sat there quietly..

Now was the time we needed to leave.

'Okay... Well.. We should get going.' I whispered.

'Okay.. Yeah.' Taylor said sadly and her and Jim stood and hugged the both of us.

'You're welcome to come see them anytime.' She said sweetly.

'Thank you' I whispered.

We went to the play room and I went over and picked lily up, hugging her to me gently and kissing her cheek.

Nich grabbed Dylan and hugged him tight..

'Hi!' Dylan giggled.

'Hey buddy..' Nich said.

We carried them out of the room to say our goodbyes.

'Dylan.. We need to get going now..' I said gently.

'Okie! Can we eat before we go? I'm hungry!' He said

'Dylan..' I said sadly.

'Nich and I are going.. You're going to stay with Taylor and Jim from now on..' I said and his eyes went wide in horror.

'No!' He said

'Dylan .. We talked about this ' Nich said and Dylan looked up at Nich then wrapped his little arms around nichs neck.

'Please no..' He said and started to cry.

Lily looked at her brother confused and made a coo sound making me kiss her face.

Nich passed Dylan to me while I passed lily to him..

Dylan wrapped his arms tight around my neck with tears running down his face.

'It'll be okay.. You'll have so much fun here.' I said and he began hiccuping and shaking his head.

'But I want to go with you guys! I want you guys to be my and Lilly's mommy and daddy.' He sobbed and I felt a tear escape my eye.