Chapter one: The Coma

Chapter one: The coma

The 3rd of July 2012;

I laid on the grass brushing its sharp blades across my fingertips, thinking of what life really meant. I was meeting a boy tonight, from what I knew he was good looking, smart and athletic; I was excited but I wasn't quite sure if I was his kind of girl. Just then a boy came running towards me, he was laughing and kept looking behind himself, I figured he was playing tag with a younger sibling. He was still looking back over his shoulder when he came closer at a faster speed, by the time I went to get out of the way it was too late, he had crashed into me knocking us both harshly onto the ground. He rolled over and landed on top of me, as soon as his brown eyes met my blue eyes, I felt my heart jump out of my chest.

He was gorgeous when I took another look at him; blonde hair, brown eyes, tan skin and he was the perfect height. It looked as if he had muscles under his shirt and I felt my heart beat harder at that, I felt so embarrassed that I mumbled "get off me". He followed my instructions, almost immediately I regrated telling him that, he was heavenly. "Hi, my name's Rhys, and you are?" he spoke as if he was used to talking to girls, so instead I turned around and left. After seeing this boy, I didn't feel like going on my date, how could I when I felt something automatically for someone else?

I called Monique to tell her I wasn't going but she rushed over to my house instead, "Don't give me this missy, who is this boy that changed your mind?" she questioned me interrogatively, I gave her an honest answer "Well, I don't really know him, but I met him at the park today and his name is Rhys" she cackled when she heard the latter, "That's the same name as the guy you're meeting tonight, it would be so funny if it was the same guy" she laughed some more and then forced me to get ready for my unwanted date.

I came out of my walk in wardrobe with my outfit on, I had to admit that I actually looked good, it made me feel like another person entirely and I felt so confident now. My Smokey eyes, red lipstick, knee length black dress, leather jacket and red heels made me feel 21. When we arrived to the cinemas Monique texted her boyfriend Daniel to meet us with this "Rhys" guy, I had only hoped that he was nice unlike the other guys she's set me up with. Before I knew it I saw Daniel walking over with... the boy from the park?! We stared at each other for a little while, dumbstruck at the coincidence.

"Hey, you're the girl that ran off on me at the park! Well at least I know your name now, Annabel" he winked at me and gave me a cocky smile. I patted down my dress and gave him a sly smile, he didn't know what was coming his way now, but he's going to.

The4th of January 2014;

When you long for a person's touch so bad that you start to lose reality; the world is brighter, newer and filled with beauty you've never seen before. But what if that went away and all you're filled with is darkness? I'm scared to leave my house, everywhere reminds me of him, and life won't be the same without him here by my side. It's been three weeks since the accident, my whole life has changed since Rhys went into the coma, who would have thought this could happen to him?

The darkness crawls up my spine, sinking deep into me, leaving me cold and miserable. Every day for three weeks I have only cried into my pillows, I can't eat at this moment, not until I see that he is safe and awake. Today is the day I go see Rhys, I owe him this much to see how he is, otherwise I may never see him again.

Watching him sleeping in this hospital bed is the worst thing right now, the colour draining from his face, it's killing every part of me that feels. "Anna, how are you dear?" Rhys' mother gently put her hand on my shoulder, comforting me as I watch him closely.

I've spent two whole years with this boy right in front of me; two years of tears, love, joy, disappointment and LIFE. The worst part is, do I even want to stick around while he's on life support? I'm not even sure, but I know everyone will hate me forever, and I know I'd hate myself too.