Chapter four: a new beginning

Chapter four: A new beginning

I woke the next morning with swollen and sore eyes from crying myself to sleep, I always thought that I'd have to live without him, but I never expected it to be like this. I thought it would happen the natural way, that he'd leave me and be with another girl or that he'd move too far away; never that he would die.

I combed my slightly knotty hair back with my fingers, feeling around for something to hold on to, maybe a bit of sanity. I still remembered what Rhys said at the start of the year "if ever something happens that will break us up, then I give you my word and i'll let you move on. If something happens Anna, promise you'll start a new beginning".

I, Annabelle Williams made a promise to Rhys that I would start anew, and I will honour what he said. Today, I go to school, I'll laugh at least once and I will smile as much as my lips will move. It's my new beginning.

"Anna sweetheart I don't know why you would want to go to school, you need rest honey" my mum was always so caring, but right now, she was pissing me off. "mum, it's school. I need to learn eventually otherwise i'll never catch up and finish high school. I don't want to be a bum my whole life."

Before I could say anymore the sound of knocks at the door came quickly and I rushed knowing it was my ride to school. Daniel wore our school uniform beautifully, if I wasn't in the circumstance I was in, I would of high-fived him for his efforts. His light brown hair was messed up, his shirt had the two top buttons undone and his tie loose. He wore a black zipper hoody that was prohibited and black socks and converse that were also prohibited.

He looked... good. His friend Charlotte was waiting in the car with her deep red hair that matched her deep red lipstick. Of course, her hair fell in beautiful curls that never tangled or knotted, curse her. Her brown eyes that were the colour of a rich chocolate and her slightly tanned skin was what made her so beautiful. She always had a smile on and she always had guys chasing after her.

"Anna? Are you listening?" I turned my head to look at Daniel, his eyes said it all "oh, sorry. I was distracted." His eyes turned back to see Charlotte looking at us with a smile on her face. I had only ever spoken to Charlotte two or three times and each time her voice hinted a British accent, of course along with her looks she had to have a beautiful accent, double curse her.

"Oh that's okay, are you nervous about what everyone's going to say?" I just nodded slightly, tears burning and threatening to fall. Luckily I blinked them back and sure enough they obeyed, unfortunately for Daniel, his didn't quite go back. He quickly wiped at his eyes and he was back to normal, I smiled weakly to let him know we'd get through this, together.

When I was in the car I put on a brave face and hoped for the best. Today is going to be a god damn long day for Daniel and I, but I know that everything will be okay, everything's going to be okay.

Charlotte was kind enough to ask me to join her at lunch so I sat with her and Daniel, the three of us just talking about anything. Charlotte made sure not to bring up Rhys and everything was fine until she said "Anna, are you excited about the Formal next year?" I kept quiet for a second until Charlotte gave me a questioning look. "Um, I had plans with Rhys to go to the formal this year and next year..." everyone kept quiet for so long it felt like two centuries.

The bell finally rang and I headed to all my classes, Math and then History. Oh how I despise Math on so many levels. It was the end of school and Charlotte found me first, apparently Daniel went home early so Charlotte offered to walk with me on the way home, I never really knew how nice she was until now.

On the way home we talked and we had so much in common, how we both liked to read sappy romance novels and fantasy novels about fairies, witches, vampires, werewolves and all of those fantasy creatures. How we both preferred white chocolate and how we both used to play some kind of sports. It was nice talking to a girl my own age who could understand me, I think I even laughed and smiled a few times.

Half way to my house we stopped in front of a street that read "Willow Drive" and Charlotte spoke up, "well, this is my street, I hope it's not too far of a walk from here?" I smiled politely "Nah, i'm just another few minutes up the road" and then that's when something I never thought would happen just happened, she kissed me and I just stood there in shock as she walked away with her head hanging low.

I stayed up late in bed just thinking of what happened, she kissed me. But, i'm a girl... She kissed me?! Holy shit she kissed me! What's gonna happen now? Did I like it? Is Charlotte my new beginning?