Secrets - Pt 5

Thursday

I awoke to the sound of monitors beeping.

"What's happening?" I fumbled around with the needles in my arm.

"Nothing Isla, it's just that your blood pressure is high." My nurse stood to attention

"Oh, okay." I sighed.

**

The nurse brought in a tray. It had an array of breakfast items such as: orange juice, tea, toast, croissants. And I thought hospital food was meant to be very tasteless. My mouth watered in anticipation. She lowered the tray onto my lap giving me a glimpse before walking out. I tucked into my food. Shovelling the croissant whole in my mouth, savouring the taste.

It was 11:12am on a Friday morning. My doctor had just notified me that I could go home. I collected my items and changed into spare clothes that my parents had brought over last night. I grabbed my phone and called Mum wanting her to pick me up. I went downstairs to the entrance. I stood there under the carpark tugging my jacket closer to my body. Mum car rolled up on the ramp. I hurried into the car trying to escape the slight breeze. Mum welcomed me in the car with open arms. She kissed me all over the face, I was squirming trying to get out of her grip.

"I've missed you." She sobbed, her eyes welling up with tears.

"Me too." My arms flew out embracing her in a hug.

**

We reached the house. I stumbled getting out the door. As I was ambling up the steps I heard my name.

"Isla!"

I turned around face to face with Leo. His face beaming and his smile from ear to ear.

He took a long drag of his cigarette and flicked it on the ground. I gave him a confused look.

"Smoking kills you know?" I said with anger in my tone.

"Sorry, when I'm scared I smoke, you did this to me." His spoke, his voice sounding slightly irritated.

"I'm really sorry you know." My eyes fixed on the ground.

"I know." He walked up to me, cradling me in his arms. I sobbed into his shoulder. He soothed me, rubbing my back tenderly.

"I need to tell you something." He whispered while looking into my eyes. Anxiety washed over me.

"What?" I muffled into his chest.

"I think I have feelings for you." He glanced at the nearby tree, his cheeks stained red.

I stood there for a second, memorizing what he had just said.

"I'm sorry." He let me go of his grip and turned towards the road.

"Wait!"

His facial expression was glum and moody.

"I just feel like I will get hurt again, like what happened with Miles."

He just stood there not saying a word. He looked me in my eyes a smile plastered on his face.

"Promise me I want." He ran up to gripping my body close to his.

"I like you too." I planted a kiss on his cheek. His face felt warm, prickly yet soft.

"Are you coming in or what?" My mum stood in the doorway with an irritated look on her face.

I blushed. Leo faced me with a playful smirk on his lips.