№ 16. How It All Happened

Seven Months, Three Weeks, & Two Days ago...

I couldn't believe we were really showing up at Monica Calhoun's house, but Jeremy said we had to. I had never liked Monica, and maybe a certain lunch incident involving ketchup and hair extensions had something to do with it.

She was the top of our graduating class ( I was number two), head cheerleader, platinum blond and legs that extended for miles. She was perfect and gorgeous and a world class bitch. And she knew it. At the same time, Monica was a social magnet despite her black soul, and every athlete in a sport considered semi-acceptable, was someone who might have a chance at speaking with her.

She commended attention when she walked into a room; a trait I both hated and desperately wanted. There was never any distinct reaction when I made an entrance, probably because I was too shy. I wasn't antisocial, I had many friends, but no one was ever jealous of me.

With Monica Calhoun, girls wanted to be her. The only time that I ever was considered remotely in the same manner, was when I dated Jeremy. I'll be honest, dating Jeremy inflated my status just a touch, and I didn't mind. But I wanted to be recognized for my achievements and not for my boyfriend.  

I didn't know why Jeremy was so on edge that night, and he kept riding my ass to hurry up as I was getting dressed. He was lying on my bed clutching onto a pillow as he yelled at the ceiling.

"Cassidy, I cannot be late to this party!"

I stumbled around my room, trying to pull on pants and apply mascara at the same time. He was rushing me too much and as I glanced at the clock I realized that we still had half an hour till the party started. Well officially started. No one ever showed up to a house party at the time listed. If it's supposed to start at ten, then you come at eleven. That was the way of things and I was familiar with them. I had finished all my homework two nights in advance just because of this party. Everyone would be there and it was an event to welcome the start of summer. Plus, Monica always threw the best parties.

I, of course, had never had the pleasure of attending one of them, but since Jeremy was the track star of our high school, he got an invite and I was his plus one.

"Cassidy, I swear to god, I'm going to-"

"Alright! Calm your shit Jeremy, I'm ready."

He sat upright immediately, throwing aside the pillow as he looked me over. I was wearing a pair of jeans with a low cut sweater and my hair hung around my waist in dirty blond waves. A light layer of makeup dressed my face and I gave him a sheepish smile as I sought his approval.

He grinned and bounced off the bed, wrapping his hands around my hips as he pecked me on my cheek.

"You look great, let's go."

He took my hand and rushed out the door, I just managing to grab my purse as we made our way down the stairs and out the door. I yelled a quick goodbye to my mom as she rolled on the couch with some guy named Ray. Out in the driveway, Jeremy slumped into the driver's side and started the ignition to his Jeep as I pulled on my seat belt opposite him. He looked so jumpy; I couldn't tell why. The only time I had ever seen him this nervous was on our first date. Jeremy was so anxious that he spilled his soda on his shoes.

But now he was licking his lips, eyes darting back and forth as we passed traffic lights and dark streets. The stereo was blasting and the windows were rolled down; my hand hung happily against the outside of the car as I rested my head against my forearm.

"You remember the house number?" he asked quickly.

"Uh...I think sixteen."

"You think or you know?"