Chapter 3

Note: Pic Above Is Dustin's Mother (Not Real)

        For once in a long time I wake up feeling excited for school. I am excited for class, my friends, lunch. I can't understand where this burst of excitement came from, but I'm not complaining. There is this tingly feeling running through me, like a hamster on speed. It's amazing! I hop out of bed, skipping into the shower. I don't care how stupid I look. Though, I was sure I look a lot like Todd, but instead of huge and blonde I'm short and burnet.

        After doing my hygiene business, I'm set for the day. I jog down the stairs, snatching my bookbag from the stairs railing. I'm whistling an old tune mom used to play on the radio. I throw the bag over my shoulders and head to the kitchen to make mom her breakfast. I dig around the cupboards, grabbing the usual ingredients. I never eat breakfast. I don't know why. I just never feel hungry until lunch. After preparing what I assume is a horrible tasting meal, I whistle my way into the living room. Mom is sitting up on the couch, watching some cartoon. I smile, as I place the plate on the TV tray that sit infront of her. She gives me a confused smile.

        I smile back at her, too excited to be my usual responsible self. I turn around and start walking towards the door.

        "Um, Dustin, where are you going so early?" My mom asked, sounding completely confused.

        "Uh... School?" I give her my 'well duh' look. She smiles and puts her hand over her mouth, trying to suppress a giggle. I tilt my head in confusion and wait patiently for her to calm down enough to talk. She takes a quick breath and smiles over at me.

        "It's Saturday, Dustin." She proceeds to giggle at my idiotic-ness.

        My shoulders drop from their perkiness. I can tell my face drops as well. Connor's face flashes through my brain. I'm not sure why.

        Mom sits there smiling at me. I must look ridiculous. I sigh and let my bag slide off my shoulders and onto the ground. I walk over to the couch and sit next to my mom and pretend to watch TV with her while she eats.

        It's not like I want to go to school to get away from my mom or anything. Actually, I have no idea what makes me want to go to school today. Connor's face flashes into my brain again, but I ignore it. My excitement isn't because of a boy.

        Mom and I sit at the couch, flipping through channels for the next 3 hours. It is Saturday, so our TV time is mostly spent watching old cartoons from my childhood. I would have enjoyed them, but Mom would constantly bring up a memory of when I was younger. Memories of times when she wasn't sick. I didn't want to remember any of those times. I usually get pulled into this other world where I imagine how my life would have turned out if mom hadn't gotten sick.

        It was depressing afterards when I tell myself 'Well too bad, kid, your mom could die any time soon. Get the hell out of fantasy world and get her pain-meds ready.' An then I get up and hide in the bathroom for ten minutes. Trying to hold back tears. I know my mom probably doesn't have much time left, but it is nice to think she would make it if I do enough for her. I'm extremely naïve that way I guess. She promised she would be there for my graduation. Two years away...

        I never ask the doctor how much time she has left, though it was tempting every time I bring her in for emergencies. I don't think I would be able to stay strong for her if I was given that type of information. She needs someone strong. If she sees weakness, she might start to give up. I can't have that. I need my mom around as long as possible. It sounds selfish, but I don't care. She is my mom. It's always been me and her from day one.