Chapter One

JOHNATHON!

I sit up in bed, shivering and covered with sweat.

Good bye Johnathon.

My heart races and it feels like it’s about to leap out of my chest.

I feel like I’m going to throw up but I breathe deeply and the moment passes.

It had been two weeks in a row that I’d had horrible dreams.

I couldn’t remember them at all.

I just knew that I was terrified.

Something or someone was chasing me and there was fire, so much fire.

I could feel the heat burning me and I woke to the smell of burning flesh.

It didn’t make sense.

“What is happening to me?”  I whisper to the darkened room.

I rub my face, then get up and go take a shower.

By the time I came out, the sun was already rising.

I shut off my alarm and go get some breakfast.

I had been living in California for about six months now.  I had moved here from Chicago.

I don’t know the reason why, I just woke up one day and decided to leave everything behind.

I was a business man gone bookshop owner.

I loved it.

My mother didn’t understand why I was desperate for change; the love of my life hadn’t understood either.

Violet hated it when I was always away on business, then she hated that I was so bent on change; a change I couldn’t explain because I didn’t know why I needed it either.

I just knew I was looking for something.

Something I needed to find soon.

I felt a tension as I had tried to keep the life I had formed for myself.  The anxiety threatened to take over me and a desperate need choking me every day.

So I left.

I had kissed my mother good bye, told Violet I was leaving and went on my way.

I wasn’t even sure of where exactly I was going I just let the need guide me.

I went overseas to Europe first; the good mood lasted me a week only.  Then I booked a flight for California and this is where I have found what I have been looking for.

For the first time in years, I felt human again.

The town I now lived in was called Clovis.

And this is where I have placed my book shop.  Something about the old looking town put me at ease.

As I said, the nightmares had barely started.

The first time I had them, they were too vague for me to even understand.  But as the days passed, they started getting more and more intense.

Now I couldn’t close my eyes without seeing the fire. 

The sound of the screams tended to stay with me all day.

By nine o’clock, I was opening my shop.

It was cold today, cold enough to snow.

But it didn’t snow here, which was good I suppose.  Today there wasn’t much fog but even if there was, it wouldn’t keep shoppers away.  Something about an antique looking bookstore had people intrigued.