Chapter Two

“Don’t look so frightened Johnathon.” 

“I’m not sure I understand.”  I say.  “You’re a woman?  I mean, obviously you’re a woman.  I can see that.”  I said gesturing at her body.  “But what I don’t understand is why.  Why did you pretend to be a boy?”

“It’s easier.”

“Easier?”

“A woman gets more attention than I’d like.  It’s easier for people to pass me by without asking me who I was or who I was with.  They don’t care; boys can take care of themselves.”

“Damon or whoever you are.”

“Dharma.”

“Dharma, you can’t just put on clothes and disappear.  People will still ask questions regardless.”

“Sometimes, but before you no one seemed to care.  Once in a while I’d meet a person who worried.  But they didn’t ask, it wasn’t their business.  Not until you and only because I got close to you.  Being Damon simplifies my life.”

“I can’t believe this is happening.”

Her eyes search for something in mine, and then she walks closer.

“The answer is still no.”  I say.

She kneels in front of me, her hands on my thighs, and the coldness of them seeps into my legs.

I grab her hands to stop them as she moves them up higher.

“Did you hear what I said or is that something you do to simplify your life as well?”

“You don’t have to be afraid anymore.”

“I’m not afraid.  I worry about prison.”

“There will be no prison.”

“Yeah right, because cops are so bent on letting child molesters go free.”

“I’m not underage and no one has to know.  Let me help you.”  She says softly.

“You can’t.”

“Let me try.”

Her lips touch mine.

I tried to fight it, but I gave up and gave in to the feeling.

I kiss her back, my hands twining in her thick hair.

Johnathon.

Her lips move to my neck.

Don’t be afraid. 

Close your eyes.

Don’t be afraid.

Sleep.

A sting catches me off guard but it passes quickly and in its place there came a sensation of nothingness.  Like I had been numbed from the inside out and I was floating, finally free.

The need to eat finally made me open my eyes.

I blinked and stretched.

I was so comfortable; I cursed my stomach for making me wake up.

I stared up at the familiar ceiling.

It was then that I realized I was lying on my bed.

I sit up, the blankets pooling at my waist.

I look at the clock.

It read: Mon. November 15 4:45 pm.

Monday.