8. Sleeping In (ft. Fitzsimmons)

It was a late night for the two scientists in the Shield lab. They were hard at work, testing another piece of evidence, acids and bases kept in meticulous order, each going on a sample before being carefully stowed away. It was probably close to two in the morning before Fitz and Jemma got to bed, their yawns more frequent and their consciousness slipping. They both fell into bed, only bothering to take off their shoes before collapsing on the mattress.

"Fitz..." Jemma whispered, sometime in the morning, "do we really have to get up?"

"Coulson is going to expect us in an hour, Jemma."

"But that doesn't mean we can't keep him waiting."

"Fair enough," Fitz muttered, a grin on his lips. He pulled Jemma closer, her hair slightly tangled, sleep still in her eyes. She smiled at him, her eyes shining.

"I love you, Fitz."

"I know."

"Nice reference."

"Thank you," he replied, kissing her forehead. "But really, I love you too."

Jemma yawned, then snuggled closer to Fitz, pulling the blankets up around them. Gently, Fitz wrapped his arms around her, kissed the top of her head, then yawned.

They both fell back asleep; wrapped around each other.

An hour later, Coulson walked into his office to find it empty. Fifteen minutes later, Fitz stumbled in, hair uncombed and clothes rumpled, Jemma not looking much better.

"We're terribly sorry sir," Jemma began, frantically trying to smooth her hair.

"We were up late," Fitz continued. Coulson raised an eyebrow.

"No! Not like that!" Jemma covered. Chuckling, Fitz grinned at Jemma, a heavy blush rising on her cheeks. "We were testing the samples you asked us to," Jemma explained.

Coulson didn't look convinced, but he went on with his meeting as planned.

But despite his suspicions, Fitzsimmons really was only testing samples, and enjoying sleeping in just once.