Part 5

Tsuzuku P.O.V

I stood at the top of the flight of stairs, my eyes half lidded as I struggled to find the energy to keep them open. I struggled to find the energy to raise my voice just enough for him to hear me. I had come to terms with it, I thought.

"Hello..." I forced out.

"I... I heard your song." He walked towards me, his face now illuminated by a light on the fence behind me. He was young and skinny. Looking at him made me think of my teenage self... but this kid had better clothes, better shoes, and some thin glasses that barely sat on his nose. He looked like he was brought up well enough to survive in the world. He looked more stable than I.

Meto P.O.V

We had to help him but we didn't know who else to call. Koichi managed to stand up... but he was now sobbing, his breath laboured as he tried to cope with his fear.

"Call..." I paused, unsure of whether it was a good idea. But the silence in the apartment told me I was right.

"Call MiA for me please, Koichi." I asked, deciding I should take over looking at the messages as Koichi found it too upsetting.

Koichi P.O.V

I was thinking about MiA but... me and him... I had been a terrible friend to him lately and I couldn't bear the thought of asking for his help. Perhaps... I was just jealous... he is such a good guitarist after all... and... I still struggle to make my four stringed bass sound anywhere near as good...

NO.

Tsuzuku.

Tsuzuku P.O.V

We didn't ask each other why. Of course we didn't. Our own problems were enough for us – we didn't want to put another huge burden onto one another. We stood together in silence, instead, side by side, watching the twinkling headlights of cars drift about the city, yet we could smell the pollution, taste it. Not just our own pollution, but the world's. I hadn't realised it until now: I was alive.

Meto P.O.V

He dropped to his knees, clutching the phone between his trembling hands, his face drenched and dripping with the salty tears, his voice wavering, hiccupping, his body quivered and shook,

"PLEASE!! MiA, PLEASE - HELP US, JUST COME TO TSUZUKU'S PLEASE!"

Koichi P.O.V

His voice sounded. But it was drowned out by a beeping sound. I took the phone away from my ear to stare at it through blurry eyes.

*NO BATTERY*

Meto P.O.V

I just watched as he threw the phone against the wall and screamed. I watched as the screen cracked, staying as strong as it could. I watched as it fell and hit the ground. Finally, it shattered.

Perhaps I did too much of that. Too much watching Tsu but not helping enough. He was trying to stay strong but the smallest thing finally made him give in – made him break.

Tsuzuku P.O.V

For the first time in... a while... I looked down. I looked down and saw my song:

'The end, true end.'

He looked too, his eyes somewhat glazed over. I wondered what he had taken before he came out here. What had made him this calm.

The breeze blew through us, wrapping around our bodies for a second, before leaving us to blow elsewhere. I looked at the kid next to me. Short strands of hair blowing gently. I knew I had no time to wonder, yet I still did. My heart pumped my blood through my body. It worked and worked at life. I was life. And I had control over that fact. My mind was wondering even though I thought it was sure. I stared at the glasses that barely fit on the end of his little nose. Why did he bother with them?