Chapter 20

Jamie’s POV

Bbbrrringggg bbbrrinngg

I was in that deep sleep, where even though you hear something it makes it way in to your dream making it seem truly bizarre. The ringing stopped. I realised my phone had been ringing and willed myself to wake up and see who it was. It could be really important.

I sat up in my dark room; I had invested in black out blinds so even if I had to sleep during the day I wouldn’t be kept awake by daylight. I reached on to my bed side locker; a deep walnut brown and picked up my phone.

Caller Unknown

1 Voicemail

I called my voicemail and lay back on to my bed.

My blood ran cold the minute I heard the voice; I had been tormented by this voice and was never more alert.

‘uhm a Hi, Detective Logan? I’m sorry to disturb you but I was hoping you might check someone out for me, I know this is probably unethical or something but if you could let me know my number is 777 0319 423, this is Harley you were a detective on my case a while back, you probably don’t remember me’ she rambled in the message.

I closed my phone; of course I remembered her, that case was one of the sickest I had ever worked.

My mind went in to over drive, who did she want me to check out? Was she I trouble? I got her number and went to call her back.

I had opened the curtains and was looking out at the busy city below, when she answered

‘Hello?’

‘Hi this is Jamie’

‘Oh hi Detective, I’m sorry for bothering you’ she began to ramble; I smiled to myself she seemed so unsure.

‘I got your message, this might be easier in person, do you want to meet me somewhere we can go through this?’ I lied, I could easily do this over the phone but I wanted to see her, to see how she was.

‘Oh sure, when suits, I have classes until 4 today but I could meet you after that?’ she offered

‘I’m in the city now, I work out of 15th but I’m off today I could drive out to Cookstown later?’

‘I’m living in the city now, I actually in college now I live on fisherman and vine’

I was shocked that she was in the city, happy in a way, but that neighbourhood was not the nicest of areas it had high drug rates and violence. My stomach flipped at the thought of her being exposed to yet more violence, I wanted to check out her place make sure it was safe.

‘Hello’ I heard her say in to the phone, damn I had been daydreaming

‘Sorry Harley, I just woke up, text me your apartment number and I’ll come out to you around 7?

‘Thanks’ she said and hung up.

I went in to the kitchen and made myself a coffee; black; no milk; no sugar. I sat down on a stool what on earth had gotten in to me? I was taking this above and beyond; trying to protect a girl that needed protecting years ago not now. I couldn’t help it though; ever since I walked in to the hospital room all those months ago I couldn’t forget her, it was more than fury at what she had been through I could murder that mother fucker, I felt personally responsible for her. I just wanted to fix everything for her.