Mental Illness

"What do you want for breakfast?" Rosalinda brushed Maggie's hair as Maggie played with her fingers.

"Hmm...I don't know, Mommy. What is there to eat?" Maggie gently whispered passing a hair tie to her mom.

"We'll see what restaurants there are around here," she tied up Maggie's hair into a high ponytail. Rosalinda moved Maggie and stood up, she then walked up to the mirror.
She carefully brushed her fingers over the bruise on her neck from last night. Something a little bit of makeup could cover up.

"Can Aunt Cookie come with us?" Maggie asked her mom as she was putting on her worn out sneakers.

"We'll see," Rosalinda took Maggie as they walked out the room.

•••

They reached Cookie and Arturo's room. It was bigger than the room Maggie and Rosalinda had.

Knock...knock...knock

The door opened rather quickly to reveal Cookie.

"Good morning!" Maggie then jumped and Cookie picked her up and kissed her forehead, leaving red lipstick behind.

"What's my beautiful princess doing here?" She asks and Maggie just giggled.

"Mommy and I wanted to go eat, can you come with us? Please..." Little Maggie hugged Cookie by the neck and Cookie just let out a small laugh.

"Sure! Where do you want to go? There's a diner down the street, we could get some waffles!" Maggie pats her stomach and nods. Cookie agrees and goes back inside letting Rosalinda and Maggie inside.

Thank God Arturo's not here.
Thought Rosalinda.

"I'm just going to go get my shoes on and we can walk there," Cookie smiled at Maggie.

They started walking and Maggie looked around only noticing the nightclub across the street. She had no clue of what the place was and what they do there. Then again, she IS only five years old and barely discovering and learning more about this world little by little.

Well, the nightclub is called "Chicas Lindas." It is a two floored building, it is black and dark purple from the outside.
You want attractive and virgin teenage girls? Well, that's the place.
They lure girls that usually pursue dreams of becoming a model, singer, actress, etc. The people that lure them usually claim to be talent agents in search of new faces, if only the poor girls knew they would get kidnapped and forced into prostitution.

The nightclub is basically an empire, and Arturo is the ruler. He came from Puerto Rico twenty-five years ago in search of his 'American Dream.' His dream of becoming filthy rich became true, but the way he made thousands of dollars is illegal. And if you wonder why don't the police keep in eye on the nightclub, well let me tell you that Arturo actually pays them to keep quiet.
He is also the leader of a drug cartel. Now, there's where he makes his real big bucks. Not only does he boss people around, he gets all the ladies. But of course they come to him because of his stacks, not his looks.

•••

Maggie practically gobbled up all her food, she hasn't eaten probably in so long. Cookie was astonished at how hungry she was and just laughed at Maggie getting syrup on her chin. Not even questioning Rosalinda of why she was so hungry and really thin for her age.

"So, when do you plan to start working?" Cookie asked Rosalinda, who was sitting across the table.

"Tonight, I really need the money," she said taking a bite from her food.

"Well, whatever you say. Just remember to take Maggie to my room in pajamas because she will be sleeping with me," she smiled reassuringly at Rosalinda.
Rosalinda just nods and turns to her left to look at Maggie coloring on her menu. She smiles and pushes Maggie's loose hairs out of her face.