The New High Life

Mrs. Rodriguez and Maggie arrived home. It was a hotel, it had about five floors, it was a maroon color from the outside, and it seemed pretty fancy.

The hotel was owned by Cookie's husband, Arturo. He was also a pimp, leader of a drug cartel, and he hated Mrs. Rodriguez. The reason he hated her was because she chose Maggie's dad over him, so he was stuck with Cookie. After six years, the grudge he had was still alive and well. But he seems to have forgotten what he did to Mrs. Rodriguez.
It was ruled out by a county judge ten years before.

Maggie and her mother made their way to the front desk, where a blonde woman stood with an annoyed look on her face.

"We're here to see Cookie," Mrs. Rodriguez told the clearly bleached blonde.

"Rosalinda!" Maggie turned around to see who called her mom. She let out a squeal, letting go of her mother's hand she ran up to Cookie with joy. Cookie picked her up and hugged her while showering her in kisses.

"Mi niña," she said still hugging her. Cookie then put her down and hugged Mrs. Rodriguez. "I missed both of you so much!"

All three of them were inside the elevator going up to the expensive suite. Which is where Maggie and her mother will be staying at. They arrived and the suite was really breathtaking. It had a king size bed, a big couch, a kitchen, and so on. It was practically an expensive penthouse.

Maggie jumped in excitement when she first walked in. She immediately fell in love with the place. It was nothing compared to her former house...not one bit.

"Wow, you really outdid yourself," Mrs. Rodriguez said to Cookie. Cookie just smiled.

"Well, I am a hard worker," she laughs. She rarely worked, she just bossed around Arturo's workers and she practically married into the riches. When she met Arturo she knew she had to marry him. Even if she had to sacrifice her freedom, some people go to extreme measures just to live an expensive life style.

"Are you ready to live the new high life?" Mrs. Rodriguez smiled at Cookie's remark.

"Who wouldn't?" she let out a laugh and soon Cookie joined in.

•••

Knock...knock...knock

Maggie woke up and shook her mom's shoulder telling her that someone was knocking.

"Shh...don't be so fucking loud," she slapped Maggie's hand causing Maggie to stop and she hid under the bedsheets.

Mrs. Rodriguez opened the door and suddenly she was slammed into the wall, being held by the neck.
It was Arturo.
Mrs. Rodriguez or well, Rosalinda, was gasping for air and tried pushing Arturo away from her.

"I guess your slutty self decided to come back, huh?" He let go of Rosalinda causing her to fall on the ground, coughing and wheezing.

"I had to, I had no choice," Rosalinda was barely able to say. Arturo let out a laugh.

"Yeah, why? Because you were abusing your own child? Ridiculous," he kneels down next to her and whispers,"You're lucky I haven't told Cookie yet, you would be dead by now."

"How do you even know that? Plus, it's none of your business!" Rosalinda gets up feeling weak and light headed.

"If you're going to be fucking eating and living off of my money, it is very much my business!" He shoves her into the wall. Maggie watched in horror how her mother was being mistreated. Even though, she should practically feel pleased that her mom is feeling her pain, she couldn't help but feel bad for her mother.

"Who said that? I'm clearly going to be working for you!" she looks down and whispers, "Once again..." Arturo rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, but you won't be worth as much," Arturo spits at Rosalinda, "Before, you were young and beautiful. Now, I don't know what's saggier, your tits or your face."
Rosalinda lets out a small sob.

"You should be at least worth something, just like the penny," he laughs at what he thinks is a good joke.

"Can you please just leave? I'm trying to sleep and so is Maggie," when Maggie heard her name she suddenly faked as if she was sleeping. She hasn't been caught watching them because the room only had a dim light turned on.

"Alright, I'll leave you the fuck alone," Arturo fixes his white, and visibly expensive shirt," You start working tomorrow, no excuses."

"Okay," Rosalinda whispered.

"Oh, and one last thing," Arturo says before closing the door," Welcome back home, babygirl." He winks and slams the door.

Rosalinda's back is then against the door and slowly slips down while crying.

She then knew, she would once again get physically and mentally abused by this man who practically ruined her. The man who took her innocence at the tender age of 16. He says it was consensual, she knows the truth. And no, it wasn't consensual, she was dragged out the house and sold to him by her own parents.

Sometimes, even the people you are meant to be loved and protected by can be the same people that could ruin your life.

In this world, to live a well and happy life, you need money.

Money is happiness, but money is not love.