- Chapter 1 -

"Do you, Katniss Everdeen, take Peeta Mallark to be your lawfully wedded husband?" announces Effie Trinket in her old Capitol accent. As always, Effie is wearing the biggest outfit any human could ever wear. The collar of her turquoise and magenta detailed dress stretches in-line with the tip of her metallic golden wig accompanied by thin, white highlights here and there.
Ever since the rebellion's war the Capitol has totally changed. President Paylor, District 2's previous president, has become the head of President Snow's mansion and Panem, and has permanently poisoned all Peacekeepers into never turning against her. She has transported all the Peacekeepers' weapons from District 2, to one of her mansions' basements, of which she's turned into a training area, where they train and train so they're ready for any new rebellions to come in the future. I snap out of the flashback visions of the past and focus on the wedding. I look at my friends sitting in the claustrophobic rows of mismatched coloured chairs: Johanna Mason, all the way from her home, District 7; Annie Cresta and her 7-year-old-son from District 4; my mother holding Buttercup, who has also come from District 4 to see me; Cressida, who has spent her time to come from living the life of luxury with President Paylor; Haymitch, who had just enough time to make it to the wedding, although he lives across Victor's Village; and Pollux, who places his hands over his puckered lips and turns it outwards while blowing my way. He really is a true friend. I treat him as if he's knocking on death's door, although all that's happened to him is a missing tongue. Luckily, he has a voice transmitter implanted into his brain, so he can talk again. I'm really glad that Paylor gave that to him, because I don't know how much longer he could've coped. I look at Annie's 7-year-old. I smile at him as he smiles back. I turn to Effie. I can see the little teardrops hanging from her bottom eyelashes.
"I do." I say. she smiles at me while she joyfully whispers, "Well done, Katniss.".
"And do you, Peeta Mallark, take Katniss Everdeen to be your lawfu-" says Effie Trinket.
"I do!" says Peeta, turning to face me. We both look at our marvellous kids: Willow, our 13-year-old sitting next to a, holding his hand, and the cutest 8-year-old playing with Annie's son on our velvet carpet flooring. I turn back, looking into Peeta's brown eyes as Effie announces, "Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mallark, I pronounce you, by the power of Panem, an official, husband and wife!" she turns to Peeta and smiles. Between her large white teeth she says, "You may now kiss the bride."
He turns back towards me and whispers something that only Effie and I could hear, "Now finally the odds are in my favour."