Ash

Ash

*Lacy's POV*
About a minute after I said yes to Luke, I heard a door slam. Ashton. He must've heard me.
"Shit. I think Ash heard our conversation..." I sighed, staring at the door.
Luke shrugged, not saying anything. We sat in silence, not knowing what to do, for what felt like forever.
After a few minutes, however, the silence was broken by a loud gunshot. My eyes widened and I jumped up, looking at Luke. His eyes were wide with fear, but he didn't move.
I quickly tore out of the room, rushing toward Ashton's room. Over the few seconds, I was praying that everything was alright. I reached for the doorknob, my hands shaking.
I slowly turned the knob and pushed the door open. When I saw the scene that was laid out before my eyes, I screamed.
Ashton was sprawled across the bed, his fingers wrapped limply around the handle of a pistol. His white t-shirt is soaked with blood. My twin brother is dead.

~Luke's POV~
I watched Lacy frantically run out of her bedroom, not moving to follow her. A minute or two later, I heard her scream. I quickly scrambled off the bed, running toward Ashton's room. When I stepped through the doorway, I froze.
Lacy was in a ball on the floor, her body shaking and releasing loud sobs. My eyes scanned the room, attempting to understand the scene laid out before me. I slowly shook my head to clear my thoughts, attempting to get the images out of my head.
I was whispering soothing things to her when I heard a quiet groan. I looked down at Lacy, but she was in just as much shock as I was. Her head snapped toward the bed, her quiet voice shaking.
"Ash?" She scrambled up and stumbled over to her brothers side. I slowly moved to stand next to her, watching a small smile appear on her face.
*Lacy's POV*
"A-ash... You're o-okay" I stuttered, tears streaming down my cheeks. I gently took his hand in my own, pulling it close to me.
Ashton smiled weakly before breaking into a coughing fit, blood dripping off of his lips. My eyes widen and I glanced down at his torso, noticing a large hole in his shirt surrounded by blood.
"L-Luke call triple zero" I said shakily, trying to find something to stop the bleeding.
Luke pulled out his phone, quickly dialing 000. (emergency services like 911 or 999)
He spoke to the operator, explaining the situation to him.
"Lacy... He says not to try to move Ash or interfere with the wound at all... We have to let the paramedics take care of that." Luke sighed, still on the phone.
"O-oh" I slowly stepped away from Ashton, sitting on the floor beside him. I heard the faint wail of sirens a few seconds later, quickly scrambling to my feet and bolting down the stairs. I waited outside the door nervously, trying to hear how far away the ambulances are.
As the sound began to get louder, I saw flashing lights at the end of my street. When the ambulances pulled up, the paramedics quickly rushed inside, carrying a gurney. I followed them, on the verge of tears. We got into Ash's room and they quickly began tending to his wound. I paced back and forth, stopping when a police officer approached me. He asked me questions about our parents, person information, and what exactly happened. After he walked away, a paramedic walked over and asked me to follow her to the ambulance.
Ashton was inside of the vehicle, strapped to a gurney. I chose to ride with him to the hospital, and Luke said he would meet me there. I sat inside the ambulance, holding Luke's hand the whole time. There was a large pad of gauze secured around his chest, slowly turning a light red color from all of the blood.
We pulled up to Sydney General Hospital's emergency vehicle drive and stopped. The paramedics quickly took Ash out and rushed him into the building, sending him straight to the O.R.
I walked up to the desk, giving them all the information they needed on Ashton. When I was done, a nice older woman lead me into a small waiting room and told me to stay there until the surgeons were finished.
I paced around the small room, mumbling to myself. About fifteen minutes later, Luke entered the room. I ran to him, hugging him tightly and hiding my face in his shirt. I began sobbing once again, scared of what would happen to my brother. Luke rubbed my back soothingly, whispering comforting words to me.
"It's going to be okay, Lacy. He'll be alright. Don't worry about it." He whispered, tears in his eyes.
I slowly began calming down as Luke lead me to the small couch, sitting beside me. He reached up, gently wiping away the tears that were rolling down my cheeks. I took in a shaky breath, breathing slowly to clam myself down.
<Two Hours Later>
The door slowly opened and a man dressed in surgery scrubs walked in. He looked exhausted, but his face held no other emotions.
I glanced up slowly, looking at him expectantly. He sighed, slowly sitting down on the arm of the couch opposite the one I was sitting on. When he spoke, I almost screamed.
"I am so sorry, Ms. Irwin... Your brother lost too much blood before we got him here. We were unable to save him."