[PROLOGUE]

[PROLOGUE]

{Charlotte}

New Orleans. The city that never sleeps. I suppose that statement can be interpreted in a number of ways. It just comes down to whether you believe in any of it or not. I for one, am aware that not everything you see in life is as it seems.

Vampires, Witches and Werewolves have lived alongside humans longer than anyone can remember. And although many people choose to ignore the idea, I cannot.

When you think of supernatural creatures you immediately think of the obvious. I however, am known as a 'Shield'. A 'Shield' is a supernatural being who possess the power to protect people from psychic abilities. I suppose it's like a force field that you're able to control or manipulate to protect the ones you love.

I found out I was a Shield the night of my 18th Birthday.

My father had woken me up in the middle of the night and told me we had to leave and that I should pack lightly. I thought it was a surprise. I thought perhaps we were going out somewhere to celebrate my birthday. How wrong I was. As my father ushered me into the car, I couldn't help but notice his eyes darting between the bottom of the street and then me.

As soon as we had set off he began to speak of my mother and how she was known as a 'Shield.' At first I began to laugh hysterically, the very thought of my mother being some supernatural creature was amusing to me. It wasn't until I saw the look on my father's face that I realised he wasn't lying. He was deadly serious.

After the initial shock had gone, he then began to tell me that sometimes the genes were passed on to the next generation, and that I was also a 'Shield.' After, this he proceeded to tell me all about what I now was. What I had become.

When we had arrived at our destination, I realised immediately something was wrong. We were outside a house. When I questioned my father about it, he said that it was no longer safe for me to stay where we were before. Taking that as the only answer I would get, I made my way into the house...not entirely sure what my father was telling me was the whole truth.

We'd been living in New Orleans for a good month or so when my father was called back into work. He was leaving again but before he did he had left a note on the side of a small box.

I'd woken up a few hours later to an empty house. When I found the note, it explained his situation and that he would be back for a couple of weeks sometime within the next few months. Wiping the few tears away that had fallen whilst reading the note, I opened the small box beside it to find my mother's necklace. Placing it around my neck, I held it tightly.

Everything was moving too fast

Everything was moving too fast. I wasn't sure whether I was fully aware of myself or the danger I was now in. All I knew was that I was now alone.

Or so I thought.