[3] "Always and Forever"

[3]

{Charlotte}

It didn't take us long to reach the abattoir. Alex left the minute Marcel ushered me upstairs. I was almost certain I knew what he wanted and quite frankly I was dreading the conversation.

Closing the door behind me, I watched as Marcel poured himself a drink before sitting on the arm of a chair nearby. There was a comfortable silence between us as I positioned myself in the chair opposite him; however, that ended instantly as the words leaving his lips next were not at all what I was expecting.

"I think it would be best if you distanced yourself from the witches. It's not safe for you to be around them." Frowning at his words, he handed me a glass of bourbon which I immediately placed on the table beside me.

"They've been nothing but pleasant to me Marcel and although I'm not particularly fond of them, I don't understand why you would think it wouldn't be safe for me. As far as I can tell you're more of a threat to me than any of them." Marcel tensed at my words and I immediately regretted them.

"I didn't mean it like that Marcel." I spoke softly, standing and picking up my drink sipping it slightly as Marcel spoke.

"Just-Just trust me, they're not your friends Charlotte." Staring intently at him, I nodded cringing at the burning sensation in my throat. Marcel chuckled before downing his drink in one swift motion.

"Show off." I muttered, laughing lightly as he winked at me. Handing my drink to Marcel, I made my way to the door.

"Oh and Charlotte, Alex is waiting for you." Stopping abruptly, I closed my eyes tightly before replying.

"And you're point is...?"

"He's crazy about you C!" Turning back around I came face to face with Marcel.

"How many times do I have to say it Marcel? I don't like him like that..." I justified strongly, looking at him indignantly.

"But you don't know him."

"That's exactly my point! I'd been in New Orleans for two days and somehow that was enough time for him to decide that he wanted to be with me...why the rush Marcel? He could have waited a while."

A long while.

Marcel watched as my expression remained unchanged; A smile gracing his lips as he handed me back my drink.

"Just give him a chance C, and if the opportunity presents itself..."

"You mean if he asks me out." Marcel laughed at my blunt tone before finishing what I'm assuming was his idea of boy advice.

"Just go with it...what's the worst that could happen right?" He questioned amused.

Sighing in defeat I reluctantly agreed to Marcel's request, downing my drink quickly – although not as smoothly as Marcel had done, before allowing him to usher me out of the room.

"Now go have fun...it's a party. Live a little."

Oh, the irony of that sentence.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It'd been a little over an hour since my talk with Marcel and I hadn't seen Alex once. The party was in full swing by this point and I'd resigned myself to the bar. I'd consumed all of 3 glasses of bourbon –  trying to convince myself it was the only way I'd get used to it, when the seat next to me was taken. Talking the glass from my lips, I placed it back on the counter before standing up to leave. Before I could a hand grabbed my forearm stopping me in my tracks.