Chapter 8

I slowly opened my eyes. Sun poured in through my small hospital window. Adrian was sitting in the rocking chair next to me eating a McDonald's breakfast sandwich and watching t.v. which was on low volume. I looked at the clock in front of me: 9:37 a.m.

I was definitely feeling a lot better than the night before. The pain in my leg, ribs, and shoulder had gone away unless I moved them too much. My head was also feeling a lot better. I could think straight again and look around without putting myself in unbearable pain.

I looked over at Adrian. He smiled and swallowed his bite before speaking," Good morning darling. Are you feeling any better?" His voice was still low and raspy like it is when you wake up.

Man did he have a sexy morning voice, I thought. He must have just gotten up too. I smiled back," Yeah, most of the bad pain went away. I just have a little if I move around too much, but over all I'm doing pretty good compared to what I went through last night."

"I'm glad to hear that," he replied sweetly and kissed me on the forehead.

My stomach rumbled loudly. Adrian chuckled, "Are you hungry?" He asked.

"Yeah, I need some breakfast," I said and pressed my button to call the nurse.

A different nurse than the night before entered the room. This one was young with long, blonde, curly hair past her shoulders. She wasn't very tall, "Good morning Kennedy!" She said with a bright smile. "I'm Paige and I'll be your nurse today. How are you feeling?" She asked as she wrote her name on the white board, erasing the nurse from last night's name.

"I'm feeling a lot better," I told her.

"That's good. You seem like you are doing pretty well after what you went through last night," she said as she checked all the equipment I was hooked up to and adjusted my leg so it was more comfortable. She lowered it a little too. "Are you hungry for some breakfast?"

"Yes, please," I said.

"Okay everything is looking good so I'll be right back with that," she said and left the room.

I looked back over at Adrian, "How's your brother doing?"

"The doctors said he is doing really well and they think he will come out of it within the next 2-4 weeks," he said.

"Oh that's so exciting to hear!" I said happily.

"Yeah. And your parents heard that you were doing good so they are going to come back on their originally planned date," he said.

"Ok that's no big deal. And do you know how to work this bed? I wanna be able to sit up."

"Ummmm let's see," he said and pushed a button that began to raise up my bed so I was sitting up. "How's that?"

"Much better, thanks," I told him

He gently adjusted my pillows and blanket so I was comfortable again. I winced when I felt a jab of pain in my ribs.

"Are you ok?" He asked, a concerned expression on his face.

"Yeah I'm fine. It was just my ribs."

The nurse came in with the food and pulled out a little table that sits in front of me. She set it down," Can I get you anything else?" She asked.

"Nope this looks good," I said.

"Okay just hit your button if you need anything," and once again she left the room.

I took the cover off the food. I stared at the stuff they called food in front of me for a moment before slowly picking up my fork with my right arm, since it had the better shoulder.

Adrian stared in disgust at meal," What is THAT?"

"Uhhhhhhh, I think pancakes and eggs with orange juice?" I said, unsure.

"Yuck," he replied, laughing.

"Yeah that breakfast sandwich isn't looking too bad to me," I said, now laughing too, which hurt my ribs so I stopped immediately.

"What's the matter," he asked.

"Sorry, just my ribs again," I said and took a small bite of what I think is pancakes.

His expression became serious," I'm so sorry, Kennedy. All of this is my fault. I should have been watching for cars and paying more attention."

"It's not at all your fault. I'm the blonde that walked into the street without watching for cars. I've got nobody but myself to blame," I said, reaching over and putting my hand on top of his. "I'll be out of here in no time and everything will go back to normal."

"I guess you're right. I can't help but feel the slightest bit guilty for this though," he replied.

"Don't be," I told him.

We gave each other a small smile and he leaned in and gently kissed me. The moment his soft lips met mine, everything felt normal again. Every last bit of pain went away. We held it for a couple seconds. And when he pulled away I could tell we both wanted more, but now wasn't the time.

"I love you so much Kennedy Wilson," he said softly. His dark hazel eyes meeting mine.

"And I love you too Adrian Nickelson." I replied.

He smiled another small, cute, perfect smile and gave me one more soft, gentle, loving kiss.