Chapter 9 - Making An Exit

I wake up sweating. Probably from the lack of air conditioning. I sit up, look at the clock, 9:30, then look around the room. The showers on and the steam is rushing out of the bathroom. I had a dream Mason had died. I run to the bathroom and look in the shower. Mason was washing his hair. I get in the shower, nightgown and all. I throw my arms around Mason. He looks down at me.

"You ok?" he asked. I didn't let go.

"Ya, I'm just scared." I say. My head was on his chest, I could hear his heart beat.

"I know. I'm sorry for all of this. I was stupid and now I've put you in danger." he put his arms around me and rested his head on mine.

"It's fine. I just.... I had a dream that you got hurt and I wanted to make sure you were ok." I close my eyes.

"Oh. It's ok. I'm not going to let anything happen to you or me. I love you with all my heart and I promise. Nothing bad will happen." he kissed the top of my head and pulled away.

I let go and look at him. "We're going home now right?"

He sighs "I'm afraid not. Knowing Sam, not for awhile."

A tear falls from my left eye. Mason lifts his right hand and wipes the tear away. Not that it did any good, we were in the shower and the water was still on. I look at him. He looks down at the now soping wet, fully clothed me.

"Here" Mason says grabbing the dry towel. "I'm going to finish taking my shower. I'll be right out ok? And if Sam comes in, run in here."

"Ok" I say. Mason puts his hand on my cheek.

He kisses me and I get out of the shower. I wrap the towel around me and head for the door. Mason goes back to washing his hair and body. I open the door, go out of the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Throwing the now wet nightgown on the floor, I hear the door knob turning. As the Door opened, I slipped back into the bathroom.

"Everything ok?" Mason asked turning the shower off.

"Shhh!" I said covering his mouth with my hand.

"Someone was coming in the room." I whispered into his ear releasing my hand from his face.

He grabbed another towel and walked over to the door. Opening the door, he peaked his head out.

"Mason!" I heard Sam say.

Mason went the rest of the way out the door. Before he shut the door behind him, he looked back at me then shut the door.

"Sam look, you said we could leave today. So we are." I was listening through the door.

"Fine. I'll have Jane drop you both off and you two can live happily together. The end."

"What's the catch?" Mason questioned.

"Why does there ALWAYS have to be a catch with you!?" Sam raised his voice.

"You never let ANYONE go that easy. NOT EVEN ME!" Mason was yelling now.

"THERE'S NO CATCH, OK? YOU'RE LEAVING NO WAY AROUND THAT, BUT WHEN YOUR LITTLE WHORE..." Mason cut him off.

"SHE IS NOT A WHORE AND YOU WILL NEVER CALL HER THAT AGAIN!" Mason screamed.

"I thought there was nothing between you two." Sam hissed, he had lowered his voice to normal.

"There isn't!" Mason snapped "She is my student and a good one at that. I will not have anyone call her or anyone else in any of my classes names."

"Fine. But when she leaves you for someone her own age, don't come crawling back home."

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO BROUGHT ME HERE!! I HAVED NO INTENTIONS ON COMING BACK!" Mason yelled as the door shut.

"Get dressed, we're leaving." Mason snapped at me opening the bathroom door.

I walked into the room and put my shirt and skirt over my now damp undergarments. Mason grabbed my hand as I grabbed my heels and pulled me down the hall to the car. Jane was standing next to the car. Mason shoved her from the car and made me go to the passenger side.

"I'm driving and YOU'RE not going." Mason hissed at Jane.

We get in the car, the dashboard clock read 10:00. He backs out of the gravel driveway like a bat out of hell. I buckle my seatbelt. I trust Mason, but I'd rather not risk it.